Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adoption/Birth Certificates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

dragongirl

dragongirl Report 30 Aug 2007 13:50

My husband`s grandfather was adopted, on the 1901 Census it says adopted son of ,,,,,,,, and his birth name,born 1899 Thereafter on Army, marriage death certs he has his new name,Would there be a new birth certificate in this name or if it was an informal arrangement how can you legally reregister the birth ? Still trying to find his birth mother any input appreciated

Penny

Penny Report 30 Aug 2007 14:05

nope, nothing legal until much later- late 1920's-.He'd have just taken on their name i guess.

if he still has his originl name in 1901 cant you find his birth reg?

Heather

Heather Report 30 Aug 2007 14:44

You need to find his birth certificate. When you say you dont know the mother - is she not the wife of the man given as the adopted father? In most cases a child was "adopted" when a widow remarried. Strangely Ive found in my lot the boys tended to revert to their birth name on formal occasions like marriage/signing up - perhaps they thought they had to legally.

What does his marriage cert give as his fathers name/occupation?

If you give us the 1901 details perhaps we could all have a peek.

gails37

gails37 Report 30 Aug 2007 19:35

nudge for later

dragongirl

dragongirl Report 30 Aug 2007 20:40

SCARLETT RIBBONS ; have sent for original Birth Cert which is Evan T Jenkins born 1899 this is the name on 1901 Census
HEATHER - see above on Marriage cert and Army certs new name and adoptive parents down as Parents. The parents already had a 10 year old daughter and they lived in a different county before 1901 I`m wondering if he was a child of an Aunt. Will have to wait for birth certificate the whole family knew he was adopted right down to the present day but no one seems to know who he belongs to!!! Thank you for your input I wondered how he would have have got a new birth certificate in his new name without a legal adoption