Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Which is the latest Census we are able to view?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Liz

Liz Report 30 Aug 2007 16:46

Is the 1901 Census the latest census available to view on line?
Was there a Census in 1911 and 1921 and is there any way or anywhere one can view them?

Sheila

Sheila Report 30 Aug 2007 16:56

The 1911 census will not be available for Public Scrutiny until 2011 as the hundred year rule applies, despite a large petition to the PM earlier this year to get the timescale reduced which was not successful.

Victoria

Victoria Report 30 Aug 2007 17:07

I thought that the 1911 census was coming out in 2009 as that census was not covered by the 100 year rule it is only subsequent ones- am I wrong?

Victoria

Victoria Report 30 Aug 2007 17:10

Accessing the 1911 Census
The next census that will be available to the public will be the eagerly awaited 1911 census. In recent years, census information has been closed, certainly for family history purposes, for 100 years which is why the latest generally available to the public is that taken in 1901. The National Archives were planning to make the 1911 census available in January 2012 but a ruling by the Information Commissioner in December 2006 means that the National Archives have been forced to make the information available now. However for practical reasons, all that is available at the moment is a paid for search by National Archives staff to give the details of people living at a nominated address.

Recently (April 2007), National Archives announced that ScotlandOnline will be their partner in the project to put the 1911 census for England and Wales online. From 2009 there will be a phased release of the information starting with the major conurbations; this will include images and transcription data.

A caveat on this is that "personally sensistive" information will not be available until 3 January 2012. According to the minutes of the FRC User Group in January 2007, this would include "details of infirmity or other health-related information, information about family relationships which would usually have been kept secret and information about very young children who were born in prison".

If you want to take advantage of what the National Archives are calling their "basic research service", you will need to provide a House Name or Number or a Building Name or a Vessel Name plus the Civil Parish and County. They will charge their standard fee for their paid search service - currently £45 per address search - and they will be no refunds for unsuccessful searches.

♫ Penny €

♫ Penny € Report 30 Aug 2007 17:14

This is from the national archives

Is the 1911 census open?

The 1911 Census must remain closed as a whole document until 2012, to protect personally sensitive information. However the Information Commissioner's decision means that The National Archives must supply some information from the 1911 Census in response to Freedom of Information (FOI) requests.

Will there be an online service?

In response to great public demand The National Archives is developing an online 1911 Census service, covering most parts of the census, with an external partner; we are actively investigating the possibility of launching this digital service in 2009. Over two kilometres of census records, containing the details of 35 million UK ancestors, will be digitised. This will provide an online service, across most fields of the Census, enabling researchers anywhere in the world to search and download digital scans of images from the census. As with our current online census services it will be both address and name searchable. It is anticipated that it will be available from 2009. It will offer a much cheaper and speedier access to the census returns than the planned FOI service. The full 1911 census won't be released until 2012.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 30 Aug 2007 17:15

www.1911census.info

Some people who have already paid their £45 are sharing their info on this website.

Might be worth a look but only a handful of records so far.

Maureen

emily is driving me dotty

emily is driving me dotty Report 30 Aug 2007 17:22

Hi Arline,

If you know the exact address you can send off to National Archives for it.

But it will cost you £45 even if it is not the right people at the address.

How i know this is i wanted to see where my hubbys gran was born as i can't find her on census before that.

Anyway had the exact address because she died at the address in 1912 so sent off and sure enough there she was with her hubby and another family also lived in the house.

So if it is a shared house they send you the photo copied census , it was great as we got to see gran and grandads writing because these weren't rewritten.

The thing that isn't shown is whether or not they have any disablility or not.

They are trying to have them online in a searchable form by 2009 if all goes to plan BUT they will have any disabilities or such covered.

So its the money or the wait if you have the precise address.

I couldn't wait so had to pay the price for my impatience .LOL.

But the address must be really accurate because this is NOT done by name but by address. They search manually.

Would hate for you to lose your money.

If you do want to if you don't know how i will try to explain.

Best wishes

Lorraine

Liz

Liz Report 30 Aug 2007 23:09

Thank you so much for all replies above - I certainly got the full answer and learned a lot. I shall keep all this info for my records research.