Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

anyone know the county berkshire

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carter

Carter Report 1 Sep 2007 08:56

Hi i wonder if anyone could help me out. my husbands family came from hampshire (sparsholt ) and the further back i go i find they came from wiltshire (aldbourne and mildenhall ) and then his 4th great grandparents came from Berkshire ( lambourne ) could anyone tell me how far away from each other are these villages me being a northerner born and bred dont know the southern counties. also i have 3 possible 5th great grandfathers all from berkshire one who came from Inchpen one from Thatcham and one from Cookham how far away from Lambourne are these villages??
thanks linda

Denis

Denis Report 1 Sep 2007 09:01

Hi

Might be easier for you just to log on to www.streetmap.co.uk and feed in the place names. I think you mean Inkpen and Lambourn.

Denis

Sprack

Sprack Report 1 Sep 2007 09:11

Linda
Have you downloaded google earth?, I did that and actually found the streets some of my ancestors lived in, its brilliant because you can go anywhere in the world and just enter a postcode if you want.
I have a good map of Berkshire saved to my files I could send you if you PM me your email address?.
Jenny
(I have ancestors from Lambourn as well)

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 1 Sep 2007 10:16

You could try one of the route planner sites which will give you a distance from place to place

Carter

Carter Report 1 Sep 2007 11:09

thanks everyone for your help will try out the suggestions and see what i can find out
linda

Sprack

Sprack Report 1 Sep 2007 11:11

I prefer my downloaded version of google earth Lynne because it shows the actual feilds and buildings rather than just the roads.
Jenny

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 1 Sep 2007 11:14

Lynn,

Thanks for that. I hadn't tried out Google maps before and it really is quick and easy. Just put my own street in and up it came. I then added my house number and it marked the exact spot on the map. Great!!

Kath. x

Sprack

Sprack Report 1 Sep 2007 12:22

ok thanks for that info Lynne.
Jenny

Paul Barton, Special Agent

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 1 Sep 2007 12:25

Sparsholt to Lambourn 6 miles
Aldbourne to Lambourn 6.2 miles
Thatcham to Lambourn 19.3miles
Cookam to Lambourn 48 miles
Thatcham to Cookham 32.8 miles