Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice for when you reach a grave

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LindyLoo2

LindyLoo2 Report 1 Sep 2007 21:45

Today, finally I found the grave of someone I had been looking for. Luckily the helpful gardener looked up the number of the grave for me, but when I got there was no headstone, just some grass - it hit me hard - how sad I am feeling tonight - at least I laid some flowers. I feel I should lay his name as no-one knows he is there - except me.
Linda

LindyLoo2

LindyLoo2 Report 1 Sep 2007 22:05

Thanks Christine - I think its lovely that you found your grandfather's grave and laid some flowers. I'm sure he was watching.
I believe by tracing your tree and the people within, we become attached to them. They become more than a name on a certificate - they become part of us and who we are, they become alive. One thing is for sure, many of them had such difficult lives and we don't know the half of it. Thanks

maryjane-sue

maryjane-sue Report 1 Sep 2007 22:56

It may be possible to get permission to have a new headstone or marker - in my travels I have come across a few stones which had been laid by descendants.

Gypsy

Gypsy Report 1 Sep 2007 22:59

Oh I know just how you feel.
My aunt had 2 children that died. Her daughter was a year old when she was scolded to death. The day she was burried her baby brother died aged just 2 months.
Last year I found out where they were burried. They are the same, No headstone, Just grass. I was so shocked and upset.
I can't understand why there's nothing there, The family had money.
Pat

LindyLoo2

LindyLoo2 Report 1 Sep 2007 23:04

Oh, 38 is no age at all - its so sad. It just highlights the difficulties people had in days gone by - guess we have it easy in comparison. you take care Christine x

Carter

Carter Report 2 Sep 2007 01:14

lindyloo
i know how you feel
when i started looking for family graves i went with my sister we had some help and we found about 6 of them some had no stones and we had found out from the cemetery dept who was burid in them it broke our hearts small babies buried with grandparents and small children buried with cousins. we went and bought some flowers and marked each grave with them we cant get to them very often but we have promised every xmas we will make a trip to them it was like they had been there all that time just waiting to be found
linda x

LindyLoo2

LindyLoo2 Report 2 Sep 2007 20:04

Thanks everyone for your kind comments - I'm glad its not just me that feels this way. Although I never knew him and he is NOT blood related, this grave is the closest I am going to get to my paternal grandfather - I will try to find someone from his family to let them know - if I can't then I will see if I can put a small wooden cross on the grave. Unfortunately if you have six like Linda then this would be impossible. kind regards to all