Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do I find a solicitor in 1915?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dawn

Dawn Report 2 Sep 2007 16:32

I am at present researching my DREANEEN connections in New Zealand. My GGAunt moved there from York in 1911 and married John Thomas Henry Dreaneen in 1915. I have since found from their marriage cert that he was from Horsham, England & his father Thomas Dreaneen was a solicitor.

However, I haven't been able to trace John's birth & wondered if he maybe changed his surname when he moved?? So I figured maybe it would be easier to try & find his Father. Has anyone got any advice where to start??

Or can anyone else find John's birth in Horsham c.1874

Thanks Dawn

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 2 Sep 2007 16:40

Have you looked for them on 1881 census?

Reg

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 2 Sep 2007 16:46

Births Dec 1874 (>99%)
Burdfield John Thomas Horsham 2b 287

The only John Thomas ____ in Horsham between 1873-1875 - from FreeBMD.

Jill

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 2 Sep 2007 16:47

Nothing shows on FreeBMD for Dreaneen. What spelling variations have you found so far?

Jill

Dawn

Dawn Report 2 Sep 2007 16:48

Hi There,

Yes Reggie I have searched all the census on "Ancestry" but haven't found any record of them at all, which makes me wonder if he changed his name when he got to New Zealand. Maybe it's just me?? I know his mum was called Lilian Mabel from his marriage cert but couldn't read her maiden name.

Dawn

Dawn Report 2 Sep 2007 16:49

John's death cert has his name spelt DREARNEEN with the extra r. But other than that nothing else that looks close.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 2 Sep 2007 17:02

The Law Society might be able to help with dad if he was a solicitor.

Jill

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 2 Sep 2007 17:21

No results on 1881 for John, born Sussex, with father Thomas and mother Lilian

Reg

LindyLoo2

LindyLoo2 Report 2 Sep 2007 19:45

You could try Kelly's Trade Directory - there is a website called historical directories (I think!) try Googling it. You can put in a 'key' word like the name of the solicitors and search for them during the nearest appropriate year. Hope this helps

Dawn

Dawn Report 2 Sep 2007 20:49

Thanks for the suggestion, i will give it a try

Dawn