Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Philip Walker

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Debbie

Debbie Report 5 Sep 2007 15:54

Having looked for my 2 x great grandfathers death date for a couple of months and not having much luck at all, I decided to send for a mayby who died at Eckington Derbyshire. What he was doing there i really don't know because he was born in Huntingdonshire. Anyway, back comes the death cert and the name of the informant was Mary Crofts, who I just can't place at all, with no other information on the cert , I am really stuck. So can anyone out there help me because i don't know where else to look and can't seem to find a connection with Mary Crofts . My 2 x great grandfathers name was Philip Walker , born abt 1831 at Hemingford Abbots Huntingdonshire. Death date was 25 June 1875 at Southgate Eckington. Please help, because I don't know what else to do. Thank you Debbie

Newby CI

Newby CI Report 5 Sep 2007 16:27

Hi Debbie can you give me a bit more info please ...was he married, occupation ? Does he show on the 1871 census and are you sure you have the correct date of death ? .... Kim

Debbie

Debbie Report 5 Sep 2007 16:35

Hi Kim, Yes he was married on the 21 Sept 1862 to Eliza See at Hemingford Abbots Huntingdonshire. He was an Agrricultural Labourer. I have found him on the 1871 census with his family, but on the 1881 census his wife and children are in the workhouse and she is a widdow. As for the date of death, I am not really sure I have the right one..... Debbie

♥Athena

♥Athena Report 5 Sep 2007 16:41

Hi Debbie

Have just been tracing this family through the census records to get as much info as poss - see what you mean, there are no obvious connections to a Croft family.

I found in 1861 Philip 29 and his brother Robert 21, living with their mother Susan 60, in Huntingdon.

In 1871 Philip 38 is with his wife Elize 29, and children Mary J 6, Rose A 3 and his father James, 77, widower.

By 1881 Philip had died because his wife and all their children are in the Union Workhouse in St Ives:

Eliza, 38, widow
Mary Jane, 17
Rose 15
James 11
Annie 9
Eliza 7
Philip 5

So Philip was born around the year his father died. Can you tell us from the death cert you have what the cause of death was please? Just wondering if perhaps he was sent off somewhere with an illness to prevent his pregnant wife or newborn child catching something from him.

On the cert does it say anything under the informant's name? Or does it just give an address?

The other thing is that he may have been working away from home or travelling back home from somewhere.

Sorry, not much help.

Regards

Athena

Whisky Soda

Whisky Soda Report 5 Sep 2007 16:46

Hi
I have had a quick look and cannot see a death for him, so I havd a look at the family on the 1871 census, and then tried to find them on the 1881, I have found the family without Philip in the Union Workhouse, there was a child born after the 1871 census who was Philip aged 5 so Philip senior must have been around in about 1875.

Ann

Debbie

Debbie Report 5 Sep 2007 16:48

The cause of death was Aneurism, and 9 months, whatever that means. Informant was Mary Crofts present at the death Southgate Eckington....... Debbie

Debbie

Debbie Report 5 Sep 2007 16:51

Hi ann, Perhaps Philip born 1875 isn't the son of Philip because living with them in 1871 is a Richard Lavender,

Whisky Soda

Whisky Soda Report 5 Sep 2007 16:56

I think this is the family in 1851, but there is no sign of Philip,

Eliza Scott
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1828
Relation: Wifes Of Son In Law
Where born: Hemingford Abbots, Huntingdonshire, England

Civil Parish: Hemingford Abbots
County/Island: Huntingdonshire

Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Disability: View Image

Registration district: St Ives
Sub-registration district: Warboys
ED, institution, or vessel: 5
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 18
Household Members: Name Age
Eliza Scott 23
John Scott 25
William Scott 1 Mo
Ann Walker 13
Charles Walker 15
James Walker 54
James Walker 17
John Walker 30
Robert Walker 11
Susan Walker 53

View
Original
Record

View original image
View blank form

Save This Record
Attach this record to a person in your tree as a source record, or save for later evaluation.
Save

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 1749; Folio: 590; Page: 4; GSU roll: 193646.
Page Tools

Save record to someone in my tree
Save record to my shoebox
Comments and Corrections
E-mail image to a friend
View printer-friendly

Make a Connection
Not sure where to start? Often it's helpful to contact others who share your research interests:
Find others searching for Eliza Scott

Attach to someone in my tree
Add this record as a source for someone in your tree (or add as a new person)
Save to my shoebox
Save this record for later evaluation and organization
or Cancel

Whisky Soda

Whisky Soda Report 5 Sep 2007 16:59

In the 1861 with his mother and brother Robert, but no Father

Philip Walker
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1832
Relation: Son
Mother's Name: Susan
Where born: Hemingford Abbotts, Huntingdonshire, England

Civil Parish: Hemingford Abbots
Ecclesiastical parish: Ely
County/Island: Huntingdonshire

Street address:

Condition as to marriage: View Image

Registration district: St Ives
Sub-registration district: St Ives
ED, institution, or vessel: 9
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 112
Household Members: Name Age
Philip Walker 29
Robert Walker 21
Susan Walker 60

View
Original
Record

View original image
View blank form

Save This Record
Attach this record to a person in your tree as a source record, or save for later evaluation.
Save

Source Citation: Class: RG9; Piece: 980; Folio: 100; Page: 19; GSU roll: 542731.

Newby CI

Newby CI Report 5 Sep 2007 17:23

Debbie this might be an answer . I think you have the date correct . If Philip was out of work he could have done what a lot of my ancestors did and go to work on the railways . The line runs from Huntingdonshire to Derby. Mary Croft could well have been the local "nurse" old lady of the town ,village . ... Kim

Mumsie

Mumsie Report 5 Sep 2007 17:48

Hello Debbie
For what is worth may I add my sixpennyworth.
When searching for my g.grandparents, who according to all the family were born in Leeds, like you I searched for months and eventually asked to see the burial register(Leeds) and found g.grandma was born in Knaresborough and her husband born in Bilston in Staffs. Probably worth checking Eckington Cemetery and the one close to where they lived in Huntingdonshire

Newby CI

Newby CI Report 5 Sep 2007 18:11

Debbie ...here we go ....census 1871 ...all living in Huntingdonshire.
1881.... Eliza widowed and living in workhouse (ps also Richard Lavender).
In 1874 Philip and Eliza had a daughter ....Eliza born Barlbourough Derbyshire .( shown on 1891 census)
1891 census shows Eliza living in Nottingham with Tim B 1870 (James).
Eliza B. 1874.
Philip B 1875 .
I think they moved to Derbyshire Philip died , Eliza moved back home , ended up in the workhouse but there is a happy ending and they moved again to Nottingham . Please can one of the experts on here check my research cos Im pretty new at this and I would hate to give the wrong info.... Kim

Debbie

Debbie Report 5 Sep 2007 19:43

kIM , tHANK YOU SO MUCH, it does seem that you have the right answer. I am pretty new to all this and I never would have thought of them moving to Derbyshire and back to Hunts.Thanks again.... Debbie