Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Splitting a Gedcom

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

davidft

davidft Report 6 Sep 2007 18:51

Is it possible to split a gedcom so that you can export or import only part of it. If it is how do you do it please.

(I seem to recall this being discussed as a possibility but i can't remember on which board, or how to do it)

Carol

Carol Report 6 Sep 2007 19:02

Yes, it's easy if you have the right family history program, Family Historian has a very good split tree helper and you can also split a file using Family Tree Maker. Other programs offer this facility as well

There's a page dedicated to doing such a thing on our website if you use FTM

http://www.genealogyprinters.com/clients/splitting_a_family_file.htm

Carol
www,genealogyprinters.com

davidft

davidft Report 7 Sep 2007 19:48

Thank you both.

It appears that i have very antiquated family tree software that won't allow me to split a gedcom. I have to export it to another familytree software that will allow it, someone has pointed me in the diredction of legacy genealogy software to do this but i am still experimenting with it at the moment (i seem to have a bug).

Thanks for the pointer to the genealogyprinters site Carol, a great site. I have used them to print my tree in the past. I was very pleased with the result.

David