Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WDYTYA - Benjamin Charlewood, apothecary

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Redharissa

Redharissa Report 7 Sep 2007 22:13

Unfortunately I only caught bits of the information about this branch of Natasha Kaplinsky's tree.

Did the program mention which region those particular Charlewoods hailed from? If so could someone please let me know.

Thanks, Tracey

Phyllis

Phyllis Report 7 Sep 2007 22:27

I think it was South Africa, london way back

Redharissa

Redharissa Report 7 Sep 2007 23:04

Thanks.

I was interested as my son is descended from a Charlewood family based in Checkley, Staffordshire at around the time Benjamin the apothecary was alive. Also the name Benjamin is a much-used name amongst my son's Charlewood forebears.

Redharissa

Redharissa Report 23 Sep 2007 18:11

QUICK UPDATE.

I've just got my copy of the brand new WDYTYA magazine (£1 trial sub from Ancestry, if anyone is interested) and YES, both Natasha Kaplinsky and my son are descended from Benjamin Charlewood the apothecary!

I've also been fortunate to have had the opportunity to have had a good root through various hand-drawn trees by other family genealogists and everything checks out nicely.

I'm currently double checking everything and seeing what obscure archives have made it onto the internet since those trees were created. The sheer volume of interesting information is overwhelming. We'll have lots of churches to visit as there were so many rectors and bishops in the family; one lady (Sophie Mendham nee Turner) is even reputed to haunt Clophill Church where her husband was rector!

The weirdest thing of all is I chanced across a bound volume of Victorian religious journals in a charity shop and it happened to open on 4 pages about one of the people I'm researching. Not bad!