Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Best Software

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janis

Janis Report 8 Sep 2007 14:19

Hi
I am new to this, can anyone advise of the best software to use for recording my family tree. Preferably one that I can easily print to give to older members of my family who do not use computers!

Many thanks
Janis

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 8 Sep 2007 14:24

Family Tree Maker

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 8 Sep 2007 14:34

Most people on here use Family Tree Maker - just the basic version - which is easy to use and you can print off all sorts of different trees and reports.

It's not too expensive, but there are other free programmes that you can use - just Google family tree software and I'm sure you will find some.

Kath. x

Alan

Alan Report 8 Sep 2007 14:35

I've found Family Tree Maker published by Ancestry pretty good. It has lots of different styles of format to choose from, You can create presentation books with charts and photos. I got my De Luxe version through Amazon at about half the price anyone else does it AND got 6 months subscription to Ancestry thrown in. This means you can search all the UK census and BDM records for free. I think it cost about £35.

Happy Hunting Alan Douglas-Haydon

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 8 Sep 2007 15:03

Despite Kath's comment about the basic version of FTM, there is actually no such thing, as there is only one version of the actual software program, per release number that is.

The difference between the basic, deluxe or whatever is NOT with the FTM program itself, but in the so called "extras" which you pupport to get, for example a bundle of data discs which in most cases prove to be of little or use to most people..

The only extra worth having is an Ancestry subscription offer, if you are not already a member.

I mention this as some people believe that you are getting more features in the FTM program itself if you buy a deluxe version, which is not the case at all.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 8 Sep 2007 15:07

Current version of FTM is 2006 and can be had for £10.75 for the program only.

The 2008 version will be out in about a month (it is a brand new program, not an update so will look and feel completely different) is £19.90 for the program.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 8 Sep 2007 15:13

Sorry Peter - I didn't word my reply properly. I did just mean that you don't really need all the "extras" that come with the deluxe version.

Kath. x