Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Complicated relationships

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Redharissa

Redharissa Report 9 Sep 2007 01:52

Spurred on by the Charlewood feature on WDYTYA, I finally started buiding up a skeleton tree for my son's paternal side. I am SO glad I decided not to even attempt to build the tree on GR - it would have been near impossible.

Having entered into FTM all the known direct ancestors, spotting rather a lot of cousin marriages on the way, I now have an interesting result.

My son's father is not only his father, he is also his 4th cousin once removed, his 6th cousin, and also his 5th cousin twice removed!!

At least no one appears to have married their own sibling - yet!

Paul Barton, Special Agent

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 9 Sep 2007 03:06

Yours is a perfect example of why GR should look at a design fault in their system that members have been on about for ages.

Redharissa

Redharissa Report 9 Sep 2007 11:50

I agree Paul. I emailed GR about it several times way back in 2003 and they replied it had been passed on to their technical department.

Four years and many tree upgrades later, this most essential of features still isn't there.

Given the nature of my son's tree, I will probably eventually end up putting it online somewhere like tribal pages or ancestry. Maybe I will just add a few key names to my GR tree then refer interested contacts to that other detailed tree.

As my son's tree includes more than a handful of people of historic importance, I want to be absolutely certain of its accuracy before it is put online in any case.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 9 Sep 2007 12:09

Technically it means a major upgrade to the database so is probably not cost effective.

Many people, myself included, use FTM for our prime record, which does handle multiple relationships, and upload a gedcom onto GR, so I'm not that concerned.

Low priority for me.