Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

anyone got any records for durham !!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carter

Carter Report 9 Sep 2007 12:52

Hi I have a great grandmother NANCY MOOR born c1837 DALTON ON TEES DURHAM . she married a james ainscough in 1853 in leigh lancashire.
i am looking for her before 1861 census. i have looked on igi but no nancy moor is there. her name is nancy on her marriage cert.
any help would be great
sorry if i dont reply but just going to a christening but will be back later
thanks linda

Julie

Julie Report 9 Sep 2007 13:00

Linda

Nancy can also be for Hannah

Jean....

Jean.... Report 9 Sep 2007 13:07

Hi Linda , Dalton is in Yorkshire, not Co Durham
It's a couple of miles from me .... my son lives at Dalton.....it's just over the river Tees ... so just in Yorkshire ..... Richmondshire.

1841 living Dalton Moor House, Dalton on Tees
George Moor - Ag lab 29
Ellin 30
Robert 8
ann 6
John 2
All born in Yorkshire

Also living in Dalton on Tees
Chris Squire - Cartwright 53
Nancy Squire 50
Ann 28
Jane 18
Nancy Moor 4

So it looks like she's with her grandparents..... I'll see if I can find a marriage.

Jean

Jean....

Jean.... Report 9 Sep 2007 13:33

Hi again Linda,

George Moor and his family and Christopher Squire and his family are both still living in Dalton in 1851.. but poor Nancy is not about.

she would be 14 ... so I have looked right through Dalton for a teenager that would maybe fit ... even with a change of name ..... but I can't find one.

I see she was registered in Darlington 'Nancy Ann Moor' .... have you got her birth cert?

Jean

Jean....

Jean.... Report 9 Sep 2007 13:57

In 1851 Living Fir Lane - Westleigh, Lancs.

James Massey 37
Ann Massey 36 born Dalton on Tees
Nancy Moore 14 'Niece' house servant born Cumberland?
And a couple of lodgers.

this one looks promising!!

Jean

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 9 Sep 2007 15:07

is this her birth record

Name: Nancy Ann Moor
Year of Registration: 1837
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
District: Darlington
County: Durham, Yorkshire - North Riding
Volume: 24
Page: 31

roy

Carter

Carter Report 9 Sep 2007 18:38

gosh you have all been busy
the 1851 census were she is living in westleigh looks very promising as that is about the right age she was 16/17 when she married in 1853 and westleigh is an area of leigh .
i dont have the marriage cert i have the birth cert of her daughter jane born 1957 and it says mothers maiden name was moor !! but being so young to get married she would have had to have her parents permission so i wonder if ther is something amiss here !!

thanks for all help
linda