Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do I find birth record for circa 1823 ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Glynis

Glynis Report 9 Sep 2007 20:42

I need to obtain a birth record for Reuben Harrington born c.1823 in Battersea. Could someone tell me how and where I can obtain it?
I have a marriage certificate for him in Wandsworth in 1846 where his father is named as Joseph Harrington. Also witnesses are James and Esther Harrington. I was hoping that I would be able to trace his parents in the online census records but with only the name of his father (and the fact that he had left home by the 1841 census) I have no idea who his parents were. They may not even have been in this country, I suppose. Any suggestions as to how I can whittle down the possibilities? I have access to all the UK records on Ancestry. I have also tried familysearch.org

Thanks,
Glynis.

Selena in South East London

Selena in South East London Report 9 Sep 2007 20:49

I can only think of going sideways. Have you looked into James Harrington a little bit more - he could be a brother.

If there is a marriage cert for James & Esther, is Joseph the father? If so, then you could try and see if James is with Joseph on the 1841. Seems a bit of a long shot but might be worth a try.

Selena

Selena in South East London Report 9 Sep 2007 20:52

This is on family search, Battersea is not far from Wandsworth

JAMES HARRINGTON
Birth: 07 DEC 1811

Christening: 12 JAN 1812 Saint Mary, Battersea, London, England

Father: JOSEPH HARRINGTON Family
Mother: MARY

Selena in South East London Report 9 Sep 2007 20:53

Maybe Esther was a sister rather than sister-in-law

ESTHER HARRINGTON
Event(s):
Birth: 14 MAR 1829

Christening: 12 APR 1829 Saint Mary, Battersea, London, England

Father: JOSEPH HARRINGTON Family
Mother: MARY

EDIT: Just realised the dates might be a bit too far apart for siblings. There is a Reuben born 1846 on family search which you've probably seen.

Glynis

Glynis Report 9 Sep 2007 21:13

Thanks Selina,
I had a possible James as a brother, though I didn't have the details you have given me.The Esther you looked up could quite well be a sister, especially as she and James have the same mother's name of Mary. Food for thought and a thread to be followed. I am very grateful for the pointer.
Glynis.