Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Records regarding fostering

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tina

Tina Report 9 Sep 2007 21:38

I have tried to access records for my mother who went into foster care in London; approx 1937. she had lived in the Marylebone area of London. She was visited by a worker (social worker) up until she married in 1953 by this time she was being fostered in Leighton buzzard Bedfordshire.The social worker who visited her regularly was from the london county council. The fact that she was still fostered and was still in contact with London county council staff for more than 10 years following the war, I had hoped that some records on her would have been kept.

I have contacted all the London children services and the London Metropolitan archives office but all have said they have no records held on my mother or her sisters and brothers.I also gave the social workers name. I also contacted the Bedfordshire childrens services and the head office of the NSPCC. I have asumed that because her support worker was from london county council she would not have been in a charitable run home, prior to being fostered out.

Has anyone any other ideas of searching for this info. What I was hoping to find out was my mothers father's details, and why she was put into care and if contact was kept with her father through the county council. I do have a name, Herbert William Simpson, but know nothing more about him accept for where he was living at the time of my mother's mother's death. They never married so there is no marriage certificate to confirm date of birth for him. I believe that he may have been born in 1892; on my grandmothers death certificate (my mother's mother) he states she was his housekeeper.

Anyone with any ideas of how I can ensure I have the right Herbert William Simpson, and how I can try and find out more about him through other records, I would be most grateful. I have also posted a message on the; trying to find board, regarding the simpsons but no one responded

Chica in the sun ☼

Chica in the sun ☼ Report 10 Sep 2007 22:40

nudge

Alban

Alban Report 10 Sep 2007 22:50

You could try contacting BAAF the British Association of Adoption nad Fostering. They assist with birth records counselling and may be able to help.
They have a national and regional offices.
Incidentally the Herbert William Simpson in my tree born 1902 is not connected.
Lyn

Tina

Tina Report 13 Sep 2007 20:37

Thanks to all of you. Lynn could you tell me more about your Herbert William born 1902 then I can at least confirm he is not my mothers father a date of death would be helpul. There are several herbert Williams simpsons in the London area between the 1890's and 1912.
Thanks again to you all for trying to help.
Tina

Tina

Tina Report 13 Sep 2007 20:38

Alban - I will try contacting BAAF - Thanks Tina

Tina

Tina Report 16 Sep 2007 10:42

nudge

Tina

Tina Report 22 Sep 2007 16:15

nudge.