Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

need advice please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carter

Carter Report 12 Sep 2007 14:35

hi
my great grandfather was a hawker/ rag dealer from 1881 to when he died in 1915 in leigh lancashire. i applied to the lancashire records office to see if they had any records where he might have applied for a hawkers licence but they emailed back and said the records had been transferred to the wigan archives a couple of years ago .
i emailed them with a copy of the email i had received from lancashire records office and today got a reply back from [email protected] thi is what it says

Dear Linda,
I have checked our calendars and indexes but we do not seem to have any hawkers licences for Leigh. In fact we do not have licences for the borough of Wigan and Leigh (including Atherton and Tyldesley).

Regards,
Christine Watts
Heritage Officer (Local and family history)
Acting for archivist

anyone got any ideas where i can go from there
thanks linda

Sam

Sam Report 12 Sep 2007 14:42

I get the impression that these no longer exist and thats why the Records Office can't find them.

Sam x

Carter

Carter Report 12 Sep 2007 14:51

hi sam
thanks for the reply but that would be just about my luck. my great grandfather came from ireland and the first thing i have on him is his marriage in 1872 so dont know where or when he came over. i was just trying to think of anything thay might have any details about him
thanks linda x

Carter

Carter Report 12 Sep 2007 20:34

anyone got any other ideas on how i might find something on this man i have all the info from the 1881 census up till he died 1915 but its before he got married in 1872 i am struggling with . in 1872 on his marriage cert it says he is a collier but 19 years later he is a hawker/rag and sand dealer. he is patrick o'neill c1850 depending on which census you go by and also on his marriage cert he was 22 in 1872 but his death cert in 1915 gives his age as 71 which would make his d o b 1844. born ireland
thanks linda

Heather

Heather Report 12 Sep 2007 20:44

Would he need a settlement certificate/examination?

Carter

Carter Report 14 Sep 2007 09:47

sorry been offline for awhile. heather what is a settlement certificate/examination ?
love linda x

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 14 Sep 2007 10:11

Carter

Info on the Poor Law which includes settlement....

http://www.gmcro.co.uk/cs/poor_law_records.htm

Chris

Carter

Carter Report 14 Sep 2007 10:17

thanks chris i will look at that and fingers crossed
linda