Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help please. trying to find a maiden name.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Daniel

Daniel Report 12 Sep 2007 21:30

I'm trying to find a maiden name of an ancester, preferable over the net without having to send off for a certificate. Trying to find the maiden name of a Martha here are the details I have:-

Martha White born c1816 married to:-
William White c1811

In the 1841 and 1851 census they are living in Chard in Somerset, with their children. They later moved to Jersey.

It says that Martha is born in Chard and William in Chaffcombe (both in Somerset).

As their first child is born pre 1837 I can't find a marriage cert. I know I could send off for a certificate of a child, but would prefer it I didn't.

Any help maybe please.....

Sam

Sam Report 12 Sep 2007 21:32

Where does the census give as Martha's place of birth? Have you tried the IGI for a marriage of Martha and William?

Sam x

Daniel

Daniel Report 12 Sep 2007 21:33

It says Martha is born is Chard.

IGI? What's that.

Sam

Sam Report 12 Sep 2007 21:37

The International Genealogical Index. Found at www.familsearch.org.

It has baptisms and marriages from the 1500's upto the mid 1800's. Beware though, some entries are 'submitted' which means that some peson researching their tree has submitted the info, which is not checked. These entries are oftern wrong.

Transcribed entries are from the parish records and far more reliable. It tells you at the bottom of each entry which type it is.

Sam x

Daniel

Daniel Report 12 Sep 2007 21:43

I think it was:-

Martha White c1836

Chica in the sun ☼

Chica in the sun ☼ Report 12 Sep 2007 21:44

Can´t find anything on IGI Daniel
What year was the eldest child born?.

Daniel

Daniel Report 12 Sep 2007 21:45

Eldeslt Chld I think it was:-

Martha White c1836

Chica in the sun ☼

Chica in the sun ☼ Report 12 Sep 2007 22:08

Nothing on ancestry, there is a William White with wife Martha McDonald but the dates are wrong.

Daniel

Daniel Report 12 Sep 2007 22:09

Anna, what are the dates for that one, and where?

Daniel

Daniel Report 12 Sep 2007 22:35

Thank you Lynne

Chica in the sun ☼

Chica in the sun ☼ Report 12 Sep 2007 22:48

You may need to try Somerset.gov.uk/archives they will have the marr. records from 1652 right up to 1981. The ones you need will be the parish records, probably of St. Mary the Virgin, Chard. Hope this helps.

Chica in the sun ☼

Chica in the sun ☼ Report 12 Sep 2007 22:51

Hi Lynn why didn´t I think of that?? Must be ´cos it is after midnight here in Spain. Buenos noches to everyone.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 12 Sep 2007 23:00

Daniel,

You really cannot be certain of names and relationships without buying at least SOME certificates.

It's false economy to think you can get away without buying them.

That is truly the only way you can be sure that you are following the right trail(s).

People on here will tell you they have spent months, and in some cases years, tracing names back and getting all excited. THEN they finally buy a certificate for one of the later generations ...... and find that all that time has been wasted!

Remember

........................... you shouldn't even trust what WE find for you when you ask questions on here without then double checking with other sources such as certificates, parish records.

We are only using documents that have been translated, transliterated, transcribed ........ and frankly made up in the case of a number (unknown how many!) of the submitted records on the Mormon site!!

Sylvia

Peter

Peter Report 12 Sep 2007 23:55

Daniel,

Sylvia is absolutely right: unless you have documentary proof (in this case certificates) you can have no confidence that you are pursuing the right line of descent.

In addition you should try to extract from the parish register all the entries relating to the surnames you are interested in. Then you will be able to construct family trees and test them against the censuses. In that way you will identify the correct ancestor rather than a cousin of the same name.

It is much more rewarding than merely accumulating names in a rush backwards.

Peter