Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Would Ludlow have Wolverhampton as registration di

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lisa

Lisa Report 13 Sep 2007 00:02

Hi

Ok, so my geography is worse than my geneology. I am trying to see if a Joseph Sayce who was born in Ludlow in c1862 is the same Joseph that appears in the 1871 census in the wolverhampton registration district.

Could this be possible?

thanks

Lisa

Sam

Sam Report 13 Sep 2007 00:09

Where does the 1871 say he was born? Ludlow is in Shropshire, Wolverhampton never has been (as far as I am aware). Although it isn't too far away.

Not to say that the 1871 census is correct, even if it does say that he was born Wolverhampton, it isn't necessarily correct.

Where is his birthplace in other censuses?

Sam x

Lisa

Lisa Report 13 Sep 2007 00:13

1901 census states Ludlow but bit of family legend also corroborates this as he was supposedly dumped in Pensnett by his Dad along with his sister. His dad then went back to Ludlow where he entered the workhouse as he was so poor!

Struggling to find him anywhere else apart from a marriage entry to Mary Brown on 26 Sept 1886 in Lower gornal

Thanks

Lisa x

Thelma

Thelma Report 13 Sep 2007 00:36

birth
Joseph Sayce 1863 Jan-Feb-Mar Wolverhampton Shropshire, Staffordshire, West Midlands
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Joseph Sayce Richard,Caroline abt 1863 Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, England Son Wolverhampton Staffordshire
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Joseph Sayer Richard,Caroline abt 1863 Wolverhampton Son Wolverhampton Staffordshire

Thelma

Thelma Report 13 Sep 2007 00:45

birth
Joseph Sayse 1861 Oct-Nov-Dec Ludlow Herefordshire, Shropshire
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Joseph Lace abt 1862 Ludlow, Shropshire, England Nephew Kingswinford Staffordshire
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
marriage
Joseph Sayes 1886 Jul-Aug-Sep Dudley (To 1912) Staffordshire, Worcestershire
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Joseph Saal Mary abt 1862 Ludlow, Shropshire, England Head Kingswinford Staffordshire
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Joseph Sayce Mary abt 1862 Ludlow, Shropshire, England Head Kingswinford Staffordshire

Lisa

Lisa Report 13 Sep 2007 16:31

Dear Jim in So'ton

Thanks for those, I think the last list is the best match but how can I prove that this is the same person, as the spellings differ so?

Thanks

Lisa

Thelma

Thelma Report 13 Sep 2007 17:00

Hi LIsa
I took quite a long time searching and I am fairly sure they are all the same man.
some of the writing on the images is very difficult to read. Certainly he is married to a Mary his place and year of birth are the same in all census and he is living in Kingswinford.
1881 looks like Sace on image so if you read them out loud they all sound the same except 1991
regards Jim
PS 1891 could be Sace on image
PPS
Joseph Sace abt 1858 Ludlow, Shropshire, England Nephew Kingswinford Staffordshire
Mary M Sace abt 1868 Ludlow, Shropshire, England Niece Kingswinford Staffordshire

Lisa

Lisa Report 18 Sep 2007 14:14

Hi Jim

Just got back, thanks for looking into those most appreciated, I wonder if those completing the censi would ever envisage this much interest in their transcriptions??

It means I am now a lot further into trying to find my gt grandfather and piecing together his family. I had imagined sayce to be easy, more fool me. I'm glad I had more success with hanbury! Then on to my dads side that should be really easy as its SMITH...not!!

Many many thanks

Lisa