Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for a 'Starr' marriage.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Coreen

Coreen Report 13 Sep 2007 07:12

Hi,
Can anyone find a marriage c 1848 for George Starr(c1822) & Mary Ann Walker (c1827). He is from Hackney,London,she is from Shoreditch,London. I think their first child,Anne, was born in 1849. I have searched high & low but can't track it down.
Regards
Coreen

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 13 Sep 2007 07:26

This is the ONLY George Starr/Mary Ann Wlaker marriage to turn up on freebmd between September 1837 and 1920, anywhere in England and Wales

Marriages Dec 1883 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holbrook John Nottingham 7b 455
Reavill Amelia Nottingham 7b 455
STARR George Nottingham 7b 455
Walker Mary Ann Nottingham 7b 455

- - - -

This could mean:-

a) it has not yet been transcribed

b) it has been transcribed worngly

c) they didn't marry at all

Sylvia

Terence

Terence Report 13 Sep 2007 10:11

Hi Coreen

Cannot find George with a wife named Mary, but there is this entry on the 1871 census.

Terry

Name: George Starr
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1845
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Eliza
Where born: Hackney, Middlesex, England

Civil Parish: St Leonard Shoreditch
Ecclesiastical parish: St Augustine
County/Island: London

Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Disability:

View Image

Registration district: Shoreditch
Sub-registration district: Haggerston East
ED, institution, or vessel: 10

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 13 Sep 2007 10:32

Where did you get the info you have? Do you have the birth cert of one of their children?

Have you any census details?

I can't find any trace of an Ann/Anne Starr born c1849 on 1851, 1861 or 1871 censuses

Reg

♥Athena

♥Athena Report 13 Sep 2007 10:44

I've also been looking - the only Anne Starr I found on the 1861 Census was born in Challock, Kent, aged 14, servant, living in Ashford, Kent.

On the 1891 Census I found:

Shoreditch
George Starr, 63, gen iron dealer, b Shoreditch
Mary Starr, 60, wife, b Shoreditch

Athena

Coreen

Coreen Report 13 Sep 2007 22:40

I found my grt grt grandmother, Sarah Star,on the Familysearch IGI website,born 20/04/1856 in Saint Leonards,Shoreditch. Her father is recorded as George Star & her mother Mary Ann (the surname is usually recorded with two 'r's but I have found it written with just one).The batch no.is CO40808 & when I entered this there were several siblings of Sarah. I couldn't trace Sarah's details anywhere but have got her brother William's B/C,a twin to another son,George.The DOB is 04/03/1853 at 13 Bath Place,Old Street Rd,Shoreditch. Father, George, is recorded as a labourer & mother,Mary Ann,
formerly Walker.I have been unable to trace George & Mary Ann in any census,other than the 1871 census.My ancestor,their daughter Sarah,married William Martin in 1875,her age 20.Unfortunately I think she may have been the only surviving child of George & Mary Ann - so maybe i'm lucky to be here! Any further help gratefully received.
Regards
Coreen

Coreen

Coreen Report 13 Sep 2007 22:47

Having just re-read the above from Athena I think she may have found my Starr's in the 1891 census as George is recorded as a 'General Dealer' in 1871 & the ages fit (ish).
Coreen