Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Records Before 1836

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kelly

Kelly Report 13 Sep 2007 22:37

Please could someone help me or give advice on where and how to get records before this time im so frustrated
Kindest regards Kelly

Heather

Heather Report 13 Sep 2007 22:45

Kelly, you can read through all those tips at the top of the page which will help you.

Before 1837 you have to look at parish records. SOME of these are available on the familysearch.org site under the IGI. Look at the threads above and they will advise how to search that.

Daniel

Daniel Report 13 Sep 2007 22:46

I know it becomes much harder pre 1837. it depends what records your after, assume the usual births, mariages and deaths.

You will have to look for parish records, baptisms, marriages and burials. Some are online, some aren't it depands on the church. If you can find the records either online or going to the actual place where they are stored (church /records office/library you can go back pretty far (17th century with some I think, might be wrong there though).

What are you trying to find?

Kelly

Kelly Report 13 Sep 2007 22:55

Thank you all for your replies i live near Birmingham do you know if there is a County record office near me ?

Cheshiremaid

Cheshiremaid Report 14 Sep 2007 02:21

Hi Kelly

Try Birmingham Central Library....

http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/centrallibrary.bcc

It will tell you what records they hold.

Linda

Sam

Sam Report 14 Sep 2007 08:53

In case you don't know, you have to go to the County Records Office for the area where your ancestors were. For instance there is no use going to Lancashire Records Office if all your ancestors came from Cornwall.

Sam x