Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Googaling?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 14 Sep 2007 23:27

I hear a lot of talk about googaling on hear can someone tell me what it is please, I gather it's a way of getting info. but how do you go about it. Thank-you. Jackie.

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 14 Sep 2007 23:43

Hi Jackie,

It means going onto the Google search engine and just putting in your relative's name or whatever else you want to look for (maybe the town where they lived), and seeing what comes up.

I haven't had a lot of luck with it - but you only need the one success to make it worthwhile.

There is a bit of skill needed to know how to search, but I am useless to advise.

Just go to www.google.com and see what happens.

Margaret

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 14 Sep 2007 23:43

It's when you do a search, most people use the google search engine, but you can use any search engine such as the one on your home page

http://www.google.com

Roy

Linda

Linda Report 14 Sep 2007 23:46

Google is a search engine. Go to www.google.com, type in what you're searching for - surrey parish registers, passenger lists or whatever, click on search and you'll see a list of websites displayed which relate to your search criteria.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 14 Sep 2007 23:47

Thank-you both for reply, best wishes, Jackie.

Janet

Janet Report 15 Sep 2007 10:38

The tecnique for googling is quite simple.

You want as few hits as possible for a particular item, and if you want UK only then you get this it by hitting the UK button or state in search box UK only in the Search Engine which may or may not be Google.

For example you want to know about ancestors in Durham so you input Durham+UK but that will bring up hits on everything from Taxis to music shops so you input Durham+History or Genealogy+Uk and you begin to get fewer hits and more the sort of things you are interested in. If your ancestors were from Gateshead then you would input Gateshead+UK+Genealogy. If there was more than one Gateshead in UK then you would input Gateshead+Durham+UK+Genealogy and this gives you more of the sites of interest to you. If you want a specific name then input "John Egremont"+Gateshead +Genealogy.

The important things to remember in using any search engine is to learn when to use + and - and the words History/UK/Genealogy/Travel or any other particular word to narrow your search.

The aim of any search is to try to narrow to about 5 pages as you will in the main find what you want in the first five pages.

Good luck from a Silver Surfer!

Janet