Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

My tree will not open

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Running Bear

Running Bear Report 15 Sep 2007 09:32

can anyone help, my tree will not open, it gets so far then stops with error message, cannot find "deskbar.worldtostart.com/dnserror.asp?url=www.genesreunited.co.uk/fmework.htm"

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 15 Sep 2007 09:39

With a message like that it is probably connected to the server failures that were typical of the problems people were experiencing last night and this morning.

It might work if you try it again later and get onto a different node at the site.

Running Bear

Running Bear Report 15 Sep 2007 09:41

Thanks Peter, whats a Node? it did go wrong last night, but it works fine on wifes lap top.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 15 Sep 2007 10:09

Sorry,

Websites have many nodes or connection points to the outside world. If there is a reduction in server capacity, which is one of the possible explanations for the capacity problems being experienced, there are fewer connection points available to handle all the traffic, and there comes a point when they get overloaded, which is when you start experiencing dropouts.

Depending on the level of overload on the site, sometimes simply logging back in gets you a better connection, or just by retrying, the volume of traffic across the connection has reduced sufficiently for it to suddenly work again.

Running Bear

Running Bear Report 15 Sep 2007 10:18

Peter, don't think its that, i'm lost, do we need direct x or another program to open the trees?

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 15 Sep 2007 12:57

The GR tree requires you to have Adobe Flash Player Installed. Most people already have this as many sites now use it, especially for animated pages. If not you can get it from the Adobe site http://www.adobe.com/

The Tree opens as a pop-up, so you also need to make sure you have pop-ups enabled, or at least for this site.

Finally, depending on the size of the tree, there can be a lot of data to download so you need to have room in your Internet Cache. (Temp Files) Provided you clear this regularly, you should not have a problem in this area.

Running Bear

Running Bear Report 15 Sep 2007 13:06

Peter, thanks for your help, i've just run spybot search and destroy, found 373 problems, all fix now, and my tree opens.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 15 Sep 2007 13:28

Ok, that couldn't have been doing you much good.....!