Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Long Shot......

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Melvyn

Melvyn Report 15 Sep 2007 18:06

I am looking for the father of my great Aunt on her birth cert it says unknown. Can anyone give me advice on were I look to find out any information on who it could be. Thanks

Kay????

Kay???? Report 15 Sep 2007 18:19

Hi,

Im afraid unless it was known within close family or friends then there is very little chance of ever finding out.as is often the case in these circumstances,

Melvyn

Melvyn Report 15 Sep 2007 18:33

Thanks

Al

Al Report 15 Sep 2007 18:59

Hi Melvyn,

I agree with Kay.

However, when and where was your great aunt born? It is possible in a few circumstances to learn more.

Al

Melvyn

Melvyn Report 15 Sep 2007 19:14

Hi Al,

My aunt was born 1920 in Accrington

Al

Al Report 16 Sep 2007 01:07

Hi,

Do you know the exact address? Was your aunt brought up by her natural mother?

Al

Al

Al Report 17 Sep 2007 16:24

Hi Melvyn,

Where I was going is that sometimes the addresses on a birth certificate can relate to hospitals or other organisations that worked with unmarried mothers, and you can then find records of these establishments. 1920s is before adoption etc, but 1908 children's act required foster parents to register and affiliation orders against fathers were sometimes used in 1920s, so, whilst there may well be nothing you can find, it is possible there could be info to find.

Al

Chica in the sun ☼

Chica in the sun ☼ Report 17 Sep 2007 23:02

mm.. a difficult one. Did the mother marry later? I had this problem and found that the man she later married had actually lived next door to her at the time she got pregnant. Doesn´t mean of course that he was the father.......good luck.