Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Come back old tree!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maggie in Leics

Maggie in Leics Report 16 Sep 2007 07:39

Anyone else like me had saved the link to the oh so useful, easy to access old tree - or was I the only one?

They have now removed it, and all I am left with is the new tree that takes ages to load, and then when it finally does you get that magic message "There is a problem connecting to Genes Reunited".!!

OK to remove the old tree if the new one was as accessible, but for quick queries the old tree won every time!!

Grrrrrrrrr..............

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 16 Sep 2007 10:00

The old tree, was replaced almost a year ago. I think most people have forgotten what it looked like.

If the tree is taking a long time to load, check that you don't have a problem with your Internet connection, and make sure you empty your temp files, as the tree won't load properly if there is not enough space in you temp file area.

Just now, my tree with almost 3,000 names takes around 3 seconds to load, more than 10 seconds is very unusual. I have 2m broadband, slower connections will take longer, obviously.

Maggie in Leics

Maggie in Leics Report 17 Sep 2007 07:52

Thanks Peter.

Temp files emptied regularly but not on broadband so altho tree only has about 150 people on it (direct lines only) it takes a long time to load, and when the Genes site is busy, access is even more difficult.

Think the keen folks who design these sites forget that not every one has the whizz bang fast computers that they do!! The length of time tree takes to load (and respond) is a real disincentive to using it. Shared trees with lots of names take even longer to load!!