Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Military - wives travelling with husbands - help n

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Georgina

Georgina Report 16 Sep 2007 18:16

I have a Private with the 50th Foot Regiment marrying in Ireland in 1857. From the records the 50th Foot Regiment travelled to Ceylon in July of 1857. Their first child was born in early 1858 in Dublin, Ireland - so I assume the wife stayed at home. In 1860 their second child was born in Ceylon. What was the situation with wives and privates/corporals. Would his wife have travelled out later. Any information would be helpful.

Georgina

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 16 Sep 2007 18:33

Yes, wives did travel with their husbands. The muster rolls for the regiment (at National Archives) may mention wife and any children, although children wouldn't be named, probably just their ages given.

Paul Barton, Special Agent

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 16 Sep 2007 18:47

Have you checked out the Family History in India website?

Georgina

Georgina Report 16 Sep 2007 18:56

Thanks for your replies. Could you tell me Paul where I could find the site for India.

Georgina

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 16 Sep 2007 19:08

His service records would hopefully be at National Archives in Kew, if he was discharged to pension.

Georgina

Georgina Report 16 Sep 2007 19:24

Hi Ann,

No he died of consumption whilst still in service in 1871. I have details of what his wife was given.

Georgina