Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

medal cards

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

donna

donna Report 16 Sep 2007 19:58

hi does anyone know were i can look up a medal card for an irish soldier
i put in medal cards but he,s not on
i wondered if there was a different site for the irish soliders

i,v also found a irish relative who was at aberdeen barracks in the 1851 census,,, but i cannot find any information on him either.... does it mean he was in a scotish regiment and would anybody know any names for the regiments who would have been there in 1851

any help would be great i,v tried google but havent got anything

kind regards Donna

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 16 Sep 2007 20:01

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/power-search.asp?searchType=powersearch

Roy

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 16 Sep 2007 20:08

Was the Irish soldier in WW1? if so, and if he was entitled to medals (not all were), he should be on the documentsonline site.

Records for the soldier in Aberdeen on the 1851 census should be at National Archives, but not online, unless he was discharged to pension up to 1854, in which case if there are any service records, they are indexed on the online catalogue. Put in his name, and search reference WO97.

Otherwise, if he left the Army after this, you have no hope of finding him unless you know his regiment. Have you checked the other soldiers with him on the 1851 census? The Regiment may be mentioned at the top of the list of men, or if an officer is listed, it would be possible to find which regiment he served with by looking at the Army List for 1851.

donna

donna Report 17 Sep 2007 20:54

hi thank you roy and ann

i,v found a soldier with the same name as i,m looking for in ww1 on medal cards he was in the royal irish rifles which could fit but my partner doesnt think so becouse ours was born either 1902 or 1906 but he could have gone in towards the end of the war couldnt he .....
ann i,v looked on the 1851 census again you dont get to see the record just a list theres no officer named and there is no regiment mentioned at the bottom before the list of names it says roll cssct 1851-39

thank you to you both for your time and trouble

kind regards Donna