Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hot Matches!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Caron

Caron Report 16 Sep 2007 20:09

I've just been sifting through my hot matches and contacting various possibles, however after 6 months of this I can't help but notice that although I do get replies from my email I've never recieved mail from other people asking me about matches...am I missing something...

Huia

Huia Report 16 Sep 2007 20:49

Perhaps the others are not paying members, so they cannot contact you.

Val :~)   from West Wirral

Val :~) from West Wirral Report 16 Sep 2007 21:43

Caron I am so glad you mentioned never getting a request for information through Hot matches!!
I thought I was doing something wrong too

Will have to wait and maybe one day I will get a suprise

lol Val

Peter

Peter Report 16 Sep 2007 22:49

Caron,

Do your names have places of birth? Many people seem to omit these. I certainly never contact anyone who has not included the pob as the name is likely to be wrong; even if it is the right person it seems that the poster has only a name to go on.

Peter

HeadStone

HeadStone Report 16 Sep 2007 23:17

Hi,
I don't always get a reply through hot matches on the first attempt, but I definitely do not use GR short reply. I always offer some information to establish a link even if it's as simple as "were the parents, was his wife, were the children named". Probably about 75% finally reply but this may be after 2 or 3 requests sent. The last 25% are probably ex GR members whose trees (names in) seem to stay in the GR database.
Bye
Paul

Huia

Huia Report 17 Sep 2007 10:07

Can somebody please tell me if GR has stopped notifying us when hot matches are added? I decided to go through mine today and found loads of new ones, but have not had an email to tell me they are there. Does this mean I need to check regularly?
Huia.

Huia

Huia Report 17 Sep 2007 11:11

I have not changed anything Claire, but I will check anyway. The last notification I had was on 25 Aug. and they are supposed to come through every 14 days, or so they say. I presumed they had been too busy playing around with alterations to deal with hot matches, so I was surprised to find all the new ones.
Off to check for any changes before I head to bed.
Huia in New Zealand.

SRW

SRW Report 17 Sep 2007 18:40

I haven't had e-mails about hot matches for over 6 months. I get other e-mails from GR about various things, but not matches. I reported it to GR but they said I must have altered something. I haven't!

Sandy

julia of sussex

julia of sussex Report 17 Sep 2007 18:52

i got my hotmatches and spent hours emailing them all and most of the time i never get a reply

and no-one has ever emailed me regarding my hotmatches i must be linked to some one ( sob sob )

julia

Caron

Caron Report 17 Sep 2007 20:55

well glad I'm not the only one! and yes when mailing people always give p.o.b and parents/siblings....guess I'll just have to wait and see!