Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to order a Birth Certificate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Liz

Liz Report 17 Sep 2007 22:45

Hi You Experts,
I found the birth records of an ancestor (Thomas Hedley born in Sheffield 1864) but they only gave the "Quarter ie.July Aug September" and the year. I entered this on the GRO form with the volume and page number and district etc.
However the form would not complete without the birth date formula dd/mm/yyyy.
As the year was 1864 - how do I get round their requirements.
Thanks in anticipation of any help.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 17 Sep 2007 22:51

Long time since I ordered a cert.

Have you ticked the box to say that you have the GRO ref?

Maureen

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 17 Sep 2007 22:53

The only other thing you can do is ring them and do a telephone order

stephanie

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 17 Sep 2007 22:54

Sounds like you put in 1964 and not 1864. Date of birth is a required field if the birth was in the last 50 years.

Rose

Heather

Heather Report 17 Sep 2007 22:57

I think you have forgotten to tick the box which asks Do you have the GRO ref. You dont need the actual dates if you have the full ref. Go back and have a look for that box! :)

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 17 Sep 2007 22:59

You can't even order without the GRO ref. for pre-1900 births. She must have listed the wrong year for it to require dob.

Rose

Liz

Liz Report 17 Sep 2007 22:59

Yes I ticked the box saying I had the GRO reference and I put in 1864 - but kept getting message to add in full format - I will try again tomorrow or phone.
Thanks all

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 17 Sep 2007 23:00

Lizian,

Check the year you listed. The only time it needs dob is if the birth was less than 50 years ago.

Rose

Liz

Liz Report 18 Sep 2007 09:51

Thanks everyone - tried again and was successful. This time I just filled in year of birth (1864) and left DOB blank.
It went through OK.

Heather

Heather Report 18 Sep 2007 09:57

These computers have minds of their own sometimes! Glad it got sorted :)