Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hot Matches - Help with new layout needed

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Half

Half Report 18 Sep 2007 00:20

Hi

Although I have been a member for ----- I gave up using the hotmatches along time ago through lack of replies. So tonight I decided to have another ago.

And got totally thrown by the new layout. I understand the lefthand column, with its suggested matches, and the righthand column where you contact another member. But cannot understand the middle column which shows people from my tree which don't seem to match the previous column.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this.

Regards

Half Pint

agingrocker

agingrocker Report 18 Sep 2007 00:35

Hi Halfpint,

I think I know what you mean. The left hand column shows an entry from somebody else's tree, the middle column shows the supposed matching entry from your tree. If they're like mine, most of them aren't matches because the two are born miles away from each other. I assume GR doesn't check places of birth. Is this what you mean?

Personally I think they're worth going through, because there are odd matches thrown in.

Duncan

Half

Half Report 18 Sep 2007 00:46

Hi Duncan

Many thanks for your very quick reply.

It appears that they may have changed the layout but not the technology behind it.

It took 5 "matches" before I found 1 where they are even the same sex but will persevere.

Regards

Half Pint

feralcat

feralcat Report 18 Sep 2007 01:01

Hi Halfpint,

Don't give up on the 'Hot matches', I've found them invaluable... although I'm not a fan of the new layout.

Most members will respond positively if a polite request is made and a please and thank you is included in your message, OK, you will get the odd one with an attitude problem, but what the hell, the good ones make up for them!

Good hunting, Tom

PS. Don't forget, places of birth can differ from census to census so what initially doesn't appear to be a match can be worth checking out.

Half

Half Report 18 Sep 2007 01:40

Hi Tom

When they are good, they are very very good, and when they are bad, they are very very bad.

I will persevere but it can be slightly irritating when they are different sexes and different continents.

Thank you for replying.

Regards

Half Pint

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 18 Sep 2007 06:39

Hot matches are based on name and date of birth only. By looking at the two, you then decide if the rest of the information matches.

This is what GR say in the Help section

"At the moment we just match the name and year of birth. However, we may make changes to the way system works in the future and add in the place of birth as a match. The problem is that members add the place in different way, or it can be mis-spelt. Some might add the town, others the full address. This makes it difficult to match. By keeping the search broad we feel you have a greater chance of a match."

Half

Half Report 18 Sep 2007 10:16

Hi Peter

I will definitely persevere, I have just sent off 9 emails.

If people don't make comments, not moans, the "powers that be" won't know where improvements can be made to help their paying customers.