Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Any Ideas please?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Thelma

Thelma Report 18 Sep 2007 20:45

On the 1841 Census for Winchester, Hampshire, my G/G/Grandfather a Joseph Thomas, living at Colebrook Place, Winchester, is shown as being aged 35 and working as a Schoolmaster. Is there any way of finding out which School he was teaching at?
Any help would be much appreciated. Thelma

Joy

Joy Report 18 Sep 2007 21:00

These sites give some interesting information

http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/GBH_match_page.jsp?ons=Winchester

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=42053

Also, you could try emailing the records office at Winchester - they would know the schools in the area at that time
[email protected]
http://www.hants.gov.uk/record-office/

Thelma

Thelma Report 18 Sep 2007 21:40

Thank you Joy for your very helpful suggestions. I will certainly follow them up.
Best regards and thanks, Thelma

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 18 Sep 2007 21:42

In later censuses he is the chief clerk for the County Prison in Winchester. Have you followed that line of information?

Ozi.

Fian

Fian Report 18 Sep 2007 21:44

Hi Thelma
I lived in winchester for some time but not as long back as 1841 im afraid the local schools that may have existed then where st bedes there was a grammer school which then became westgate school there are also two private schools one being Winchester College and the other one was South downs school which has now close and become part of the university. Colebrook Place sounds a very central address so would have been in the town i would think he might have worked at the college or st bedes I'd be interested to know when you find out and if you can find the location i could tell you wheither the school still exists or weither it has an alternative function today good luck
fi

Fian

Fian Report 18 Sep 2007 21:51

Hi Thelma
Colebrook Place is at the bottom of the town centre and is still called that today I've just checked that it is still there as it has been some years since i was in Winchester its a lovely part of the city. well worth a visit if your in that neck of the woods. I am going to see my brother in a fortnight and he lives in winchester so if you needed anything done on the ground i would certainly try for you but i am going over a weekend so would not be able to get into the records office let me know on here or at [email protected] good luck
fi

Thelma

Thelma Report 18 Sep 2007 21:57

Thank Ozi,

Yes I did know about the Prison. I have yet to check that out as well. Thanks for reminding me. Thelma

Thelma

Thelma Report 18 Sep 2007 22:02

Thank you Fian for your information, very kind of you to offer to help. I will be in touch if I may, when I can pin down where exactly I need to look. Many thanks Thelma

Joy

Joy Report 18 Sep 2007 22:27

You're welcome, Thelma. I have been to that records office, where the staff have been helpful.