Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

how can I?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Irenemac

Irenemac Report 18 Sep 2007 21:28

Anyone know how can I find out who lived at a particular address in 1926 please?
Thanks
Irene

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 18 Sep 2007 21:30

They should be on the electoral roll for that address. This should be available at the Archives or Local History library which covers the area.

Sam

Sam Report 18 Sep 2007 21:30

You need to check the electoral register which will be held at the library for the area concerned - they are not online.

You will only get people eligible to vote though so definately no children.

Alternatively you could check historical directories but again, will only get the head of the house.

Sam x

Irenemac

Irenemac Report 18 Sep 2007 21:31

thanks. that was fast. would I be able to find out online?

Irenemac

Irenemac Report 18 Sep 2007 21:32

I have the name of the man of the house but I want his wife's name

Irenemac

Irenemac Report 18 Sep 2007 21:35

sorry to be so dim but where would I be able to find the electoral roll? the address is in Liverpool but I'm not.
thanks
Irene

Sam

Sam Report 18 Sep 2007 21:36

As I said, electoral registers are not available online but you could try emailing the library or Liverpool records office.

Women under 30 were allowed to vote from 1928 so if his wife was younger than this, she won't be listed anyway.

Sam x

Irenemac

Irenemac Report 18 Sep 2007 21:38

ok thanks Sam. That's very helpful.
Irene

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 18 Sep 2007 21:38

In 1926 only women over the age of 30 could vote. It wasn't until 1928 that women over the age of 21 could vote, so if the lady you are looking for wasn't 30 she wouldn't be on the electoral register for 1926.

Kath. x

Victoria

Victoria Report 18 Sep 2007 21:46

What's the man's name and do you know the year and area they got married as we can check the index to find out the wife's name?

Best Wishes

Jane

Irenemac

Irenemac Report 18 Sep 2007 22:43

no, victoria. I only have the name of my grandfather Henry William Chapman and his Father Edward Baker Chapman from my grandmithers marriage cert. They lived at 65 Westlake road Wavertree Liverpool. The wedding cert was from 1926.
Think I'm stuck.
Thanks anyway
Irene

Mumsy

Mumsy Report 18 Sep 2007 22:50

If it's your great grandmother's maiden name you're looking for it should be on your grandmother's birth certificate.
Mumsy.

Victoria

Victoria Report 19 Sep 2007 14:27

So is it Henry William Chapman's mum's maiden name you are looking for?

Kind Regards

Jane

Victoria

Victoria Report 19 Sep 2007 14:57

In 1926, a Henry W Chapman got married in the 4th quarter to a Florence Farnsworth in Liverpool. Do you think it might be them?

Kind Regards

Jane

Irenemac

Irenemac Report 19 Sep 2007 16:26

Hi Victoria
Yes Henry married Florence then. That's how I got his Fathers name, but from then I am at a loss. I don't know where he was born. Also, I can't pinpoint Edward Baker Chapman (HW's father) on any of the census's.
Thanks a lot
Irene

Victoria

Victoria Report 19 Sep 2007 17:46

Record Name Estimated Birth Year Year of Registration Quarter of Registration District County View Image

View Record
Albert Edward B Chapman abt 1888 1888 Jan-Feb-Mar Pancras (1837-1901) London, Middlesex
View Record
Edward B Chapman abt 1850 1919 Jan-Feb-Mar West Ham Essex, Greater London

I would say the second one is his death.

Best Wishes

Jane

Victoria

Victoria Report 19 Sep 2007 18:04

Waht address was Henry living at when he got married and what was the profession of his father?

Kind Regards

Jane