Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adopted Child

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Juliana

Juliana Report 19 Sep 2007 15:44

Hi All

I believe my great grandmother had a child who she had adopted. It would have been between 1917 and 1920 and I'm not sure whether their birth would have been registered in her married or maiden name.
Is there a way to do a kind of reverse search, so I'd be able to search for all the children born to her rather than the other way round??

Many thanks,
Juliana

Marilyn

Marilyn Report 19 Sep 2007 19:22

Sorry I have just re-read this message, and it may well be that your great grandmother had a child before marriage, that would have been registered to her in her maiden name, if it was after her marriage it surely would have been registered in her married name, and I dont believe formal adoptions took place until about 1935, so the child could just have been plaed with another woman to 'look after', maybe your g.grandmother's husband was away at the time of the birth of the child, and she did not want husband to find out!. If you could say who this child was I would see if I could find it for you.

Marilyn

Victoria

Victoria Report 19 Sep 2007 19:34

I have access to familyrelatives and they go up to 1920 where you can search on surname with mmn. If you would like me to do a search for you list the details ie surname and mmn and area and I will see what I can find

Kind Regards

Jane