Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

any ideas?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

***Rose Tea***

***Rose Tea*** Report 19 Sep 2007 16:14

i have done a search on igi and found out that my grandmother has been put down as dying 20 years later then she did die could i get it changed?

Sam

Sam Report 19 Sep 2007 16:18

No. I assume it is a submitted entry rather than a transcribed one. These are not checked before being published and you can't change them either.

Sam x

***Rose Tea***

***Rose Tea*** Report 19 Sep 2007 16:23

hi sam

yes it was a submitted entry.
i think you should be able to change them thou.

Heather

Heather Report 19 Sep 2007 16:26

Rose thats the real prob with IGI - I thought it was written in stone stuff when I first started out and Im sure a lot of people take everything on there as being fact.

In my rush of enthusiasm 4 years or so back I sent them my tree so far - some of it, Im ashamed to admit was wrong - I assumed I would be able to submit a new gedcom to overwrite it but then found you cant. Thats why you can get several different entries on there for a person, its submitters updating their info.

Great shame.

***Rose Tea***

***Rose Tea*** Report 19 Sep 2007 16:39

hi heather

Big shame on you .....lol
i try not to use the info that has been submited .you just don,t know how many errors there is. they should have just kept to the organal records. excuse my spelling .....

tina

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 Sep 2007 21:24

I read/heard somewhere that members of the church have to submit names of family members going back 4 generations.

If they don't know the information, they guess at it ........

...... or even make it all up!!!

Mind you it happens in other places as well.

There is a One Name Study Group on my maiden name.

I was given a cd produced around 1999/2000 on that name, going back to the 16th century.

I believe (from something I was told) that the man running the One Name Study Group had major input into the information on that cd.

I believe on pretty strong evidence that this same man is the son of one of my first cousins, although I have never met him (I live in another country).

When I checked my own name, I discovered that my brother was listed as my father, and my father had apparently disappeared after being shown as a son of ..... (the correct man named as his father/my grandfather)!!

You'd think correcting that would be easy wouldn't you??

I am now on my THIRD level of correspondence with the Registrar of the One Name Study Group, 'cos the leader of my name group is refusing to make any contact with me!

Sylvia

Chica in the sun ☼

Chica in the sun ☼ Report 20 Sep 2007 12:07

I find it offensive to suggest that LDS members make up information to submit to IGI. Yes it is true that members are encouraged to research genealogy up to at least 4 generations, but there is no pressure to do so and it is certainly not part of a "mission". I do agree fully that there is incorrect info there, and as previously said it is necessary to check out everything thoroughly and to use the IGI more as a rough guide. To correct information is difficult but I suggest that you resubmit the correct info, then when someone searches that will come up alongside the incorrect one. The same problems occur on OneWorldTree. Personally I am grateful for the LDS program which broke through many barriers, like gaining access to church records, when genealogy was considered a gross intrusion into private lives no matter how long ago. Forty odd years ago, it was very difficult to get a vicar to give you any info, but now most are very glad not to have the responsibility of preserving records, which are now microfilmed or stored in county archives.