Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is this site cracking up??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jan.jan

Jan.jan Report 19 Sep 2007 18:51

Has anybody else come across this yet?

When I go to check a name on the 'search trees' section, it tells me that I have made contact with the person, even though I haven't.

I thought it was me but have just noticed one with an unusual name and know 100% that I've made no contact.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 19 Sep 2007 20:58

Aha! I'd never looked at this section before -- just idly clicked on it while looking around the new layout for what used to be the "my contacts" bit ... because I was trying to figure out when and why I had contacted a particular person who showed up in a search-trees results list as a party to a previous contact ... which I could find no record of.

This answers that! Ta. ;)

Kathryn

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 20 Sep 2007 07:04

Is it the case that if you delete the contact at some stage, it still shows on the names list that you have been in touch previously? - which if you think about it is correct.

As far as the boards are concerned, I think the new layout is much better and far less fussy.

If you don't like the content, and the bickering, then that is down to the members, not GR.

Jan.jan

Jan.jan Report 20 Sep 2007 08:33

No, it quotes that I have made previous contact with people who I haven't.
We are going to have to be careful, as we could dismiss a possible link up as we think we have already checked it out.

Perhaps Genes could come up with an answer?

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 20 Sep 2007 09:57

Have you perhaps PM'd someone, or they PM'd you regarding something on one of the message boards, if so, they then show up in your contacts.

I have sometimes replied to a request on a board, then received thanks by PM, so I regularly go through my contacts and ensure these are deleted.

Jennifer

Redharissa

Redharissa Report 20 Sep 2007 10:01

Could it be that a former contact has simply changed the way their name displays?

I noticed a very strange name in my tree permissions list and was totally stumped until I checked my contacts section. Sure enough the odd name was there too but I was able to identify who it was from by looking through the correspondence.