Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Two names one person? Can you advise

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~Twiglet~

~Twiglet~ Report 20 Sep 2007 10:39

I have my grandfathers birth cert, on it father stated as Hugh william, on grandfathers marriage cert states that father is Henry William, which one is right? This man has been giving me some probs gggggrrrrrrrr

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 20 Sep 2007 11:17

Can you find the marriage of Hugh and the child's mother?

Who registered the birth?

Reg

~Twiglet~

~Twiglet~ Report 20 Sep 2007 11:23

Yes have the name of mother, Mona (Surname,) she married Henry William (surname) but on Grandfather birth cert it says, father Hugh William (surname,) mother registered birth

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 20 Sep 2007 11:33

I would go for the birth cert info first. Either the father or mother registered the birth so would tend to have correct info. Whereas it is known that offspring, in the past, did not necessarily know the full name of their parents.

Ozi.

~Twiglet~

~Twiglet~ Report 20 Sep 2007 11:44

Thank you for your help everyone, will try IGI see if anything comes up.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 20 Sep 2007 17:13

altho the dad may have been reg as Hugh he could have been known as Henry so thats the name your graddad said when he was asked his dads name.

On a "similar" note my paternal gran was Emma Ann but her second hubby called her Annie and thats what he told the registrar mums name was when he registered their two eldest children. had i not known her name i could have been looking forever plus he reg them as if they were married at the time and they weren't!!

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 20 Sep 2007 19:28

Which goes to prove nothing is as straight forward as it seems!

Ozi.

~Twiglet~

~Twiglet~ Report 25 Sep 2007 09:47

Thank you all, just hope I dont find his death cert registered as Harry.........lol