Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Searching old electoral rolls

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Deb needs a change

Deb needs a change Report 20 Sep 2007 10:57

I'm sure that I used 192.com to access old electoral rolls in the past but I've just gone to the site and it only goes back to 2002. Can someone point me in the right direction to search pre 1980's electoral rolls?

Deb:)

Chica in the sun ☼

Chica in the sun ☼ Report 20 Sep 2007 11:10

Thank you Deb for telling us about 192.com
Yes it seems you are right about 2002. ThereĀ“s got to be a site somewhere that goes back further. Do we know when electoral rolls first began?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 20 Sep 2007 11:14

ER's are not generally available on line.....you have to visit - or contact - the main public library for the relevant area.........and you have to know the address.

Reg

Deb needs a change

Deb needs a change Report 20 Sep 2007 11:15

I'm not sure when they started though I do know that I've accessed from the 1940's as I've found my old rellies on rolls.

I tried B4Usearch.com but it seems to be out of whack.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 20 Sep 2007 11:16

There have been ER's for as long as the country has had elections............

Reg

Deb needs a change

Deb needs a change Report 20 Sep 2007 11:18

Hi Reg,

I have got the address so I'll try and orginise a rellie to do a look up. I live in OZ.

Thanks,

Chica in the sun ☼

Chica in the sun ☼ Report 20 Sep 2007 11:30

Thanks Reggie.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 20 Sep 2007 12:26

They go back for several hundreds of years, but until 1918 few people were able to vote as it was only those with property over a certain value who were enfranchised.

I did some research a couple of years using 192 and there was nothing earlier than 2002.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 20 Sep 2007 12:35

For those who are interested, the B4u site has been shut down by the Data Protection Regulator as the site was not operating within the law.

Joan Allan

Joan Allan Report 21 Sep 2007 02:14

If anyone wants help, I have a disc that was purchased from 192.com that shows electoral roll from 1992-2000.

Joan
[email protected]