Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1871 Mistranscribed Name??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynne

Lynne Report 20 Sep 2007 11:46

Some time ago I found a Lavinia (or Davinia) Humphreys, 26 year old servant, living at 19 Prussia Street, New Cross, Manchester (born ireland). I believe she was my 2xggrandfather's sister.
I have just searched Ancestry using Lavinia and Davinia, without success. However, when I searched using just the surname and year of birth I found a Jemima Humphreys at the same address. I am sure this is actually Lavinia or Davinia but the image is very difficult to read.
I would really appreciate a second pair of eyes on this one please.
I have found a marriage in 1873 for a Levina Humphreys and think this may be her.
Thanks in advance.
Lynne

Newby CI

Newby CI Report 20 Sep 2007 13:06

Just had a look Lynne and I also think it,s been mistranscribed . .. Kim

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 20 Sep 2007 13:10

On the 1871 census it definitely looks like Jemima to me.

Kath. x

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 20 Sep 2007 13:12

I had a look at it, Lynne, and at first glance it certainly looks like Jemima, but then it could possibly be Levinia.
Isn't that a nice definite answer?
Short answer is I don't know.
Marg

Victoria

Victoria Report 20 Sep 2007 17:13

I think it does say Levinia, if you go onto the next page in the same handwriting I think it says in address Leigh Street, this looks very similar to the L in Levinia and could be taken as a J.

Best Wishes

Jane