Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Microfilm

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynn

Lynn Report 20 Sep 2007 13:18

When going to look at Microfilm for the first time, what do I need to take and is there anything I should know before I go as it is quite a way to my records office. Thanks in advance, Lynn.

Kate

Kate Report 20 Sep 2007 13:20

Pencils and loose paper for making notes, I would say. I think most records offices don't allow biros etc to be used. I think there are ways to zoom in and out on the film reader.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 20 Sep 2007 13:25

Make an appointment and book a film reader before you go just in case they are busy. This isn't neccessary but it's worthwhile if you have a long way to travel.

Ask one of the staff to help you with the machine at first. First time I went I couldn't even get the film onto the machine, but everyone was helpful.

Loose paper and pencils as some record offices will only let you use these. Take some change for the photocopier if you need to get copies of anything you find.

Take a cardy, as some record offices are quite cool - to keep the records in good condition.

Don't be surprised if you don't find much the first time - the time will fly by.

Enjoy yourself.

Kath. x

Lynn

Lynn Report 20 Sep 2007 13:28

Thankyou ladies, glad you mentioned the cardi as I do feel the cold lately...getting old!

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 20 Sep 2007 13:58

You are allowed to take your notes in with you but they don't like folders of stuff. So loose notes are best. They tend to give you a plastic wallet to put them in.

I make a list of what I want to find out - it's so easy to get distracted!

If searching parish registers I tend to jot down other children/families with the same surname (if it's not too common a name) as a lot of them end up being related somehow so saves a further trip.

Also, remember to make a note of which films you looked at and what periods they covered. If you only look in detail at a span of years note that down so you will know where you found the info and where you have looked. You also won't then look at that film again - and if you need to double-check something you know where it is.

Jill

Heather

Heather Report 20 Sep 2007 15:27

And dont worry about feeling a numpty - I had the roll of film across the floor when I went the first time. Now I always choose an elderly scholarly looking man to sit next to, in the hope he will be flattered by the attentions of a middle aged lady and do the film in the machine bit for me. :)

Sprack

Sprack Report 20 Sep 2007 15:27

And dont forget your reading glasses if you wear them.
Jenny

Judith

Judith Report 20 Sep 2007 16:08

Wear clothes with pockets as once you have left coat, bag etc in the lockers you will need somewhere to keep loose change, the locker key etc

Whether you need to book a microfilm/fiche reader depends on the Office - eg Essex is new, big and airy and has plenty of machines with no need to book, whereas the Suffolk Records Office in Ipswich is in an old school with not much space and you do need to book. Check at the same time whether the records for your parish are on rolls of microfilm, or on microfiche as these will need a different machine.

Enjoy your visit but realise you will be hooked and have to go back....

and back.......

and back............ :-)

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 20 Sep 2007 17:02

Some people find they feel a bit sick using the microfilm machines especially if they look while whizzing the film on. More common in people who suffer with motion sickness.....If you think you may be susceptable take a 'sea sickness' pill before you go.

Chris

Lynn

Lynn Report 20 Sep 2007 18:50

Thankyou for the good advice. Now I am going to be a numpty...what is the difference between microfilm and microfiche?!!
Lynn nice but dim.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 20 Sep 2007 18:58

Film is on a reel, a bit like a movie film. Each page is filmed next to the previous one. You can get a bit dizzy when you do a fast forward as the pages flash in front of you.

Fiche is on a single piece of plastic about the size of a postcard and imagine it like a grid paper with many, many squares across and down. Each page appears in one of the squares on the grid.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 20 Sep 2007 18:59

Microfilm is a roll of film - a bit like the old rolls of film for cameras but bigger.

Microfiche are separate pieces of acetate - like plastic about the size of a small envelope. You place it under a light on a different sort of machine and you can read what is on it.

You will find most parish records are on film and most BMD's are on fiche.

Kath. x