Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sorry there has been an unexpected error!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 20 Sep 2007 22:11

Anyone else getting this? Seems to happen most times I reply to threads.

Rose

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 20 Sep 2007 22:15

Yes, I'm getting it too - mainly when I try to edit or update a reply. It's been happening all night.

Kath. x

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 20 Sep 2007 22:16

I'm getting it also everytime i try and post a message but if i hit submit a second time it works

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 20 Sep 2007 22:18

I'm the same, just tried to edit one of my posts and cannot do it because of the error.

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 20 Sep 2007 22:20

happened to me earlier!!

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 20 Sep 2007 22:22

just happened again as i tried to post the above post, i just clicked submit again--and here we are!!

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 20 Sep 2007 22:22

The "high levels of traffic" excuse is used for every complaint made to GR.

If that were really true - and I doubt it - then GR needs to spend some of the money they get out of all this "heavy traffic" to pay for more band width with their servers (think that's what they are called) who host the site.

Kath. x

Clou

Clou Report 20 Sep 2007 22:23

same here just been getting it

Clare

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 20 Sep 2007 23:05

I've seen several responses to complaints about these error messages everyone identical to the one I received.
I fail to understand how Gene's can have "exceptional levels of traffic" at 7.30am Saturday morning

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 20 Sep 2007 23:16

I know the site gets busy at 10 pm but I think I've been getting them at all times.

Rose

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 21 Sep 2007 00:48

me too,

I had it about 10 minutes ago on another thread

and just look at the time I'm posting!

sylvia

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 21 Sep 2007 01:22

Also getting this when editing a message:

The website cannot display the page
HTTP 500
Most likely causes:
The website is under maintenance.
The website has a programming error.

What you can try:
Refresh the page.

Go back to the previous page.

More information

This error (HTTP 500 Internal Server Error) means that the website you are visiting had a server problem which prevented the webpage from displaying.

For more information about HTTP errors, see Help.

Rose

DavidB0745

DavidB0745 Report 21 Sep 2007 01:53

Hi

I believe that what is happening is a combination of many factors.

1. Heavy Traffic #1. This can occur at any time, especially as this site is not confined to the UK so people in other time zones will be using it.

2. Heavy Traffic #2. The Web-site "may" be compromised via a DoS (Denial of Service) attack from external Hackers.

3. There is a problem within the hardware in one, or more, of the servers that the Web-site resides on, which will cause sporadic errors

4. If #3 is happening then this can also have an effect on the software that manages the internal messaging application.

5. And, I believe that this is the more likely reason, that with the recent up-dates to the site, some incompatibilty issues have arisen that will require additional programming to resolve. When up-dates are done to any Web-site, and this is not confined to GR, testing is usually done on a test site to check on errors etc. This site is not "live" ie in the Public Domain, but in the workshop, or programming area of the company doing the up-dates, so, what may appear to be OK in this environment, may not be when placed in general usage.

The only way for these errors to be fixed is to advise GR of them. Don't forget that they may not respond immediately to your message, as they may be in the process of fixing the problem. We have all seen, that eventually, fixes are applied to the problems that have arisen recently, so, do as I am doing, hang in there as they will fix the problem or they will lose the membership base.

David