Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

3 witnesses to a marriage

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue

Sue Report 21 Sep 2007 19:38

Hi

Has anyone ever come across 3 witnesses to a marriage and would there be a reason for this?

thanks
Sue

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 21 Sep 2007 20:13

Well....

In the Hampstead marriage register for 1829 there is one that has over 10 witnesses!!!

Chris

Joan

Joan Report 21 Sep 2007 20:53

I had four witnesses. OH wasn't getting away lightly.
We married in a register office and I so wanted my dad to give me away, so OH had his mother who was a widow, then I had my best friend and OH chose his best friend (his brother).

21 years ago last week.
Joan

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Sep 2007 21:29

My parents had three witnesses when they married.......

Reg

Ajwyorks

Ajwyorks Report 21 Sep 2007 21:58

I had four witnesses. The bridesmaid and best man and then my mother decided she would like to sign so my mil did as well. At which time the vicar thought we should call a halt as he was going to have to copy it all out lol

Andy

Richard

Richard Report 21 Sep 2007 23:12

Ah that explains things for me also. Got my great grans cert last week and there were three witnesses. One was her 15 year old sister, so that clears up that for me!

donna

donna Report 22 Sep 2007 15:10

hi sue

i got a marriage cert for 1870 odd and they had 11 witnesses .... but they got married in a cathedral

donna

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 22 Sep 2007 18:54

Someone posted details of Charles and Diana's cert a year or so ago and there were something like 20 plus witnesses, if I remember correctly.

I understand two is the legal minimum, after that is is when the person who is responsible for the registration calls "Time!"

Andrew

Andrew Report 22 Sep 2007 19:33

Is the third witness the Vicar?

All weddings must have at least two witnesses (as other replies show) but the Priest officiating as the registrar, is also a witness.

Rev'd Andrew Sillis