Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Orphanages

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Miah

Miah Report 22 Sep 2007 09:45

Does anyone have any tips on getting to the bottom of orphanages?

My grandmother was placed in an orphanage in 1913. She used to attend annual garden parties at The Convent St Michaels on Ham Common until late 1950's. My godmother who was in the same orphanage also attended one of the garden parties - reunions as late as 1974.

The orphanage had a link with this convent but this is not where they were brought up. I am either looking for an orphanage in the Wiltshire area although they both ended up living in West London.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Nightowl51

Nightowl51 Report 25 Oct 2007 21:49

Dear Miah
Why was there a reunion in Ham Richmond if they were in an orphange in Wiltshire?
Where did you get Wiltshire in the equation?
I googled St Michaels Convent and found the following
St MIchael's Convent
56 Ham Common
Richmond
Surrey TW10 7JH
Tel 0181 9408711
e mail [email protected]
Why dont you contact them and ask if they have any records going back to the re unions and ask them if they could give you some idea what orphanages were involved.
If the orphange is not around any more the records would be in the Borough Council that controlled it. ie Richmond.
BUT the orphange could have been run by St Michaels. or Barnados.
On the website they have "offices" all over England and abroad.
I think you will find there may be a "confidentiality" clause of records on orphanages of 100 years. I might be wrong, it could be 50.
Best of luck

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 25 Oct 2007 22:26

I'd suggest you contact the Convent in Ham - it still exists - just Google it. They might be able to shed some light on the connection.

Denis

Denis Report 26 Oct 2007 10:59

nudge