Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Newsagents Query...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sophie

Sophie Report 22 Sep 2007 20:24

Hi everyone

My G G Grandfather Thomas Edward Johnson appeared as a Newsagents in 1891, at 369 Bolton Road, Darwen, Blackburn, Lancs.
Specifically it was a stationers and 36 years later in 1926; he appeared on my G Grandfathers marriage cert still as a newsagent in the same house. His son also was a newsagent as well; and tbh ive been struggling to find webpages on sumthing to do with this shop or road or the johnsons and when they moved; ive looked for the address and find that its not a stationer newsagent shop anymore. I just wondered whether anyone could help me or maybe give me advice in what i should do.

Any ideas or help wud be much appreciated.

Sophie

LesleyC

LesleyC Report 22 Sep 2007 20:27

The only thing I can suggest is going to the council offices or local library to look at records of this shop around the time that your GG Grandfather was there.

I have found that the council office keep shop records and maybe able to help you further.

Lesley

Heather

Heather Report 22 Sep 2007 23:19

The records office may well have some old photos. There is also a Stationers Guild which you could google for and see if that is of any help.

Sophie

Sophie Report 25 Sep 2007 04:02

A stationers guild?...i have no idea what that is at all....lol....