Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Export File Facility Frozen

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ray

Ray Report 23 Sep 2007 17:35

I tried to export my tree yesterday. There were only a 100 names. It's not happening over 24 hours later, it just says 'exporting'. I tried changing my e-mail address so I could try again. It wont do it because it appears to be locked into the previous attempt.

Any ideas anyone? Any chance support might fix it?

Chica in the sun ☼

Chica in the sun ☼ Report 23 Sep 2007 22:52

Mine won´t export either.

David ‡ Mills

David ‡ Mills Report 23 Sep 2007 23:01

My advice to everyone and anyone - - -
Do not keep all your records on an online site.

By all means put a *copy* of them on the site, but keep your research in a program such as Family Tree Maker or Personal Ancestry File. Oh, and make regular backups to a USB drive or CD.

The reasons are
1) when you put up your information it becomes the property of the site owner.
2) there is no guarantee that you will be able to copy your information off the site, eg to a GEDCOM file.

--
Dave.