Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Another ag labs question

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

*Sharm

*Sharm Report 24 Sep 2007 11:19

Hello one of my gggreatgrandfathers was a printer by trade acc to census and on his sons marriage cert, up untill the last 20 years of his life then he changes jobs to be an Ag Lab.
now this may not sound like anything, but this was right in the heart of Burnley, lancs not in the outlying villages, and is the only ag lab in my family, burnley wasnt known for its agriculture and still isnt but back then it was heavily involved in the cotton industry
now i wonder why the change of job anyone throw any light on it?
Thanks
Sharmala.

*Sharm

*Sharm Report 24 Sep 2007 12:58

sorry not to reply earlier had to nip out
yes its def the same person had to keep checking myself but its def him, seems really odd though as ag lab is not really heard of around here, unless he travelled out of town.

Elisabeth

Elisabeth Report 24 Sep 2007 13:35

I sometimes wonder if it could be a mistake made by the enumerator when a sudden change of occupation is listed.

One of my ancestors was an Ag Lab on each census, apart from one, when he was suddenly 'Master Baker'. Perhaps the enumerator had called into the local hostelry on the way home and mis-read his notes!

He did revert to Ag Lab on the following census.

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 25 Sep 2007 00:02

But he might well have travelled out of town. My hubby's grandad had three occupations in his lifetime. First a joiner, then a silk weaver in the garret in his house, and finally a gardener at a large estate 7 miiles away (he walked there on Sunday night and back on Friday night). All genuine.

But I agree, some enumerators might have been a bit worse for weat, I am sure the one in Birch Vale, Derbyshire in 1871 was cos the order in which he did the census zipped from house to pub and back again!

Good luck.

Margaret