Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Parents Consent In Marriage

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

*Sharm

*Sharm Report 24 Sep 2007 17:59

hello
I have found the parish record for the marriage between what i believe to be my rellies in 1760, on the record it says that Isaac Leach and Elizabeth Stackhouse were married on the 23rd of jan 1760 with consent of parents, does that mean they were both under 21?
Thankyou
Sharmala.

Dawnieher3headaches

Dawnieher3headaches Report 24 Sep 2007 18:01

think on cert when it says of full age means over 21 but not sure what age limit was earlier

*Sharm

*Sharm Report 24 Sep 2007 18:23

hello dawn how are you?
im not sure either with it being an early marriage ive got visions of them being under 12 or something!

*Sharm

*Sharm Report 24 Sep 2007 18:26

Thanks for that Christine looks interesting, i have some later marriages where it says minor (under 21) but with this one being an early marriage i wasnt sure.

Huia

Huia Report 24 Sep 2007 20:23

I am wondering now about the age of consent. My gt gt grandmother b1814 had an illegit son (my gt grandfather) in 1834. Then in 1836 she m in Manch Cathedral. Groom was a minor, with the permission of his mother.
From further info I have obtained on him I have found a b that fits his being under 21 in 1836, but on censuses he is a year older than his wife. I presume that is a vanity thing, not wanting to have an older wife. But I cannot convince a couple of members who have John and Jane on their trees that they are the same John and Jane that I have, even though I have pointed out that I certainly have the right ones, for certain reasons. (Everything fits).
A very frustrated Old Crow Huia.