Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Service man not listed help please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lisa

Lisa Report 24 Sep 2007 18:29

i not my great grandfather was in the great war! we have medals and a photograph to prove it! however when looking up this up his name does not appear! his name i george william saward but i know that on the photo we have his name is printed William G saward. could some please help

Denis

Denis Report 24 Sep 2007 18:44

It would help if you could explain where his name does not appear .... and what it is you are trying to find out.

kate 66

kate 66 Report 24 Sep 2007 18:47

Hi

where was he born and when? i will have a look on ancestry pension records

kate

Lisa

Lisa Report 24 Sep 2007 18:50

when i enter his name in the search engine for Military records the results show me nothing! all i want to know is were he was stationed, the day he joined and left etc

Lisa

Lisa Report 24 Sep 2007 18:51

thank you katie he was born 1897/98 and was born/still living in islington

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 24 Sep 2007 19:11

Neither my grandfather nor my uncle show up on the WW1 records, yet they both served.

My grandfather allegedly served in Mesopotamia, according to my mother who was 11 when the war started Old enough to know). So, he should have received at least one medal for service overseas.

My uncle was gassed and shot, so there should be a record of him being invalided out. One would have expected that he got a pension!

Lots of Harry Schofields (grandfather), but none born in Oldham! And i have no idea what regiment he was in, no photos, medals or anything. Aunt-by-marriage burned everything after her husband died in 1992 'cos "she didn't think anyone would be interested". Me!! Me!! .... the only grandchild still alive!

Presumably uncle's family has information 'cos he lived until the early 1970s .................... but why nothing on the ancestry?

sylvia

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 24 Sep 2007 19:39

Sylvia

A large percentage of service records for those discharged to pension were destroyed, so not too surprising that your man isn't there! I know my Grandad got a pension, but his records aren't there either. There is another series of records at National Archives - many many more than are on Ancestry, but lots of these were destroyed too.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 24 Sep 2007 19:44

Could this be his medal card

Description Medal card of Saward, G W
Corps Regiment No Rank
Middlesex Regiment G/10485 Private
East Kent Regiment G/21978 Private

Date 1914-1920
Catalogue reference WO 372/17
Dept Records created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies
Series War Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World War
Piece Ridley C - Shacklady T
Image contains 1 medal card of many for this collection

Number of image files: 1

Image Reference Format and Version Part Number Size (KB) Number of Pages Price (£)
184300 / 28797 PDF 1.2 1 272 1 3.50

Roy

Lisa

Lisa Report 25 Sep 2007 09:50

thank you i will get these! were did you look for these