Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Police records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hannah

Hannah Report 24 Sep 2007 19:37

Does anyone know if there is a way to search for ancestors that used to be in the police force?
I read a message on here once from someone saying that you could search some police records but i am wondering about cheshire police.

Thanks,
Hannah

Frances in Norwich

Frances in Norwich Report 24 Sep 2007 19:56

Hi Hannah

Google The Black Sheep Index - it gives some police records and lots more. Well worth a look.

I also contacted the force historian at the constabulary HQ and was given lots of info. Where abouts are you looking?

Frances

Hannah

Hannah Report 24 Sep 2007 20:00

Thanks Frances. I'll definately have a look at that.
On my grandmother's marriage certificate she put that her father was a police constable but that he was deceased at the time of her marriage in 1933.
I havent been able to find anything much about him and i wondered if a search for him as a police constable might help me to find him. To see if he actually existed!
They lived in cheshire- the middlewich, sandbach, areas.

Frances in Norwich

Frances in Norwich Report 24 Sep 2007 20:03

It might be worth writing to the Cheshire constabulary then.
I was given a copy of my Dad's, Uncle's and grandads police records from the date they joined, it contained so much information!

Hope it works for you too.

Frances