Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Find My Past - Overseas Death Records -SORTED

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 25 Sep 2007 11:38

Does anyone know what "Shipping" means in the Place of Death column on a death register means? I have been looking for my mums register but it is not there but next to a lot of names it says "Shipping"

Thanks

Lorraine

Deb needs a change

Deb needs a change Report 25 Sep 2007 11:48

Hmmm. I see what you mean. I wonder if it means they died onboard a ship? On second thoughts, that would be listed as death at sea, wouldn't it?

I'm as confused as you Lorraine.

Deb:)

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 25 Sep 2007 12:57

From 'Find My Past' Search Overseas Records 1995-2002..... search tips

There are, however, other "post names" which are not place names. The most frequently occurring in the indexes are the following:

BF Cyprus = British Forces Cyprus
Civil Air = births, plus natural, accidental and other deaths, in the air (other than Royal Air Force)
>>>>Shipping = births, plus natural, accidental and other deaths, at sea (other than Royal Navy)
UKSC (G) = UK Support Command (Germany)

Chris