Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Does anyone live in Charlton or Woolwich

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ann

ann Report 25 Sep 2007 21:28

I thought i was going to Charlton cemetery next week.Someone has told me that a lot of this area has been flattened. Annie

Potty

Potty Report 25 Sep 2007 21:51

Hi Grannie

Just had a look on Google Earth and the cemetary still seems to be there.

Interested in your post as I used to live in Charlton (50 odd years ago!) and passed the cemetary regularly - we all used to walk on the opposite side of the road as it was supposed to be haunted by a bride who died on her wedding day.

Hope you find what you are looking for there.

Mummy Bear

Mummy Bear Report 25 Sep 2007 22:48

What do you want to know - I'm very familiar with the area.

Flattened - not sure what you mean? The cemetery is very much still there - some of the lower part of Charlton has changed (from the station towards the river). Like with any part of London that has the river as a boundary there's going to be change.

Do you know the plot number etc of what you're looking for? If not give the Greenwich Cemeterys department a call 020 8856 2232 they have to be one of the most help cemetery teams you'll every come across.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 26 Sep 2007 10:23

I came from Charlton and a lot of my rellies are buried in Charlton cemetary . its always been a flattish area. I was up there last year looking at the paupers grave grt gran was buried in 1907. The cemetary supervisor met me there ,arranged with Greenwich |Council,and he showed me the plot . I did take another look for my bros grave he died in 1930 aged 3 months and we regularly used to visit it when i was a kiddy. The last time i saw it was 1957 when my bridal bouquet was put on it.
Unfortunately now the head stone has been removed and put to one side because ,was told, lots of the old stones in the children's part had become unsafe.
Its a really peaceful and beautifully kept cemetary . hats off the Greenwich council . who incidentally are very good with enquiries and very prompt with replies.

Shirley

Debbie

Debbie Report 26 Sep 2007 12:19

Charlton Cementry still exists - my father was buried in the Cementry in 1980 and I visited his grave about 2 years ago