Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Any Puter Experts on lime??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Werauhidin

Werauhidin Report 27 Sep 2007 07:23

Good Morning, I have attempted to change default on a file link lnk, to permit me to open an E Mail, unfortunately all my Desktop shortcuts are now only opening windows mail, tried 3 restore point etc. nothing I do works.
Any informed ideas please.
John

covlass

covlass Report 27 Sep 2007 08:33

Hi John
not sure if this will work, I had a similar problem with any pictures I had. On desk top right click file select properties a box should open, opens with from here you should be able to change which program it opens with

Werauhidin

Werauhidin Report 27 Sep 2007 08:45

Hallo, thanks for response, I am in a hell of a pickle
because all the programmes on Desktop and in start menu, are now set to open in something called Allumni or similar and when I attempt to change defaults on any one, it changes them all.

Werauhidin

Werauhidin Report 27 Sep 2007 09:48

Lynda Carol

Lynda Carol Report 27 Sep 2007 10:03

John, a programme called Alumni.exe downloaded itself onto my pc, not so much a virus, more a nuisense. I just went to control panel add remove progs and got rid of it that way

Lynda Carol

Lynda Carol Report 27 Sep 2007 10:09

Should have said that alumni.exe is some sort of serch engine, and may be in your progs as allhighsearch, or something like that. It came onto my pc via my son seraching another site

Ron

Ron Report 27 Sep 2007 11:15

Open My Computer.

Click on Tools, then Folder Options, then click on the File Types tab.

You will see a list of all the file types on your PC and what programs open them, you can then alter it.

Ron
www.genealogyprinters.com

Werauhidin

Werauhidin Report 27 Sep 2007 14:20

Hello, just back indoors, thanks for your replies, will try and advise
Regards
John

Should have mentioned, I am on the Acursed Vista and can't get in that way. I'll have another look later. Grandson from school now.

B

Lynda Carol

Lynda Carol Report 27 Sep 2007 16:24

John, on the blessed vista try this

Open the folder that contains the file you want to change.

Right-click the file that you want to change, and then, depending on the type of file, either click Open With or point to Open With and then click Choose Default Program.

Click the program that you want to use to open this file.

Do one of the following:

If you want all files of that type to open in the same software program, select the Always use the selected program to open this kind of file check box, and then click OK.

If you want only that file to open in the software program this one time, clear the Always use the selected program to open this kind of file check box, and then click OK

Werauhidin

Werauhidin Report 27 Sep 2007 17:02

Hello Lynda, thank you for answering and I stand corrected, it is probably me that is cursed.

I follow all that you suggest and that is indeed, what I had been trying. The real nub of the matter is that I believe most of these had a nondescript symbol originally or a programme specific symbol and I cannot fathom how to find out what to use to open them, particularly as the only options shown were, Internet Express, Windows Mail, Windows Media Player,
Windows Media something else,that Ayumni thing and another I cannot remember. In truth it is a bit beyond me, but you learn by mistakes and it is my first nasty.
Regards
John

Lynda Carol

Lynda Carol Report 27 Sep 2007 22:30

John, as you have done a restore my suggestion is you go to control panel programmes and features and see if anything nasty has took root there.

Good luck
Lynda

Werauhidin

Werauhidin Report 27 Sep 2007 23:09

Thanks Lynda, I can see nothing there and all the programmes appear to have their correct icons with them, so I tried double clicking some to see if I could re create a short cut link on desktop, but the only options were, change or uninstall
Regards
John

Werauhidin

Werauhidin Report 29 Sep 2007 21:41

Hi Folks, 2105hrs. Saturday. I have been struggling with this since Wednesday all days and most of the nights. Cracked it about 25mins. ago.

After 25 experts 70hrs. 14 restore attempts, I finally gave up and saved all my data files to disk and selected the Recover to Manufacturers Setting option on the wake up screen( F11 on Vista H P)

Having decided to sacrifice a mass of updates and downloads, I pressed to continue. With no prior option advised, an option to run restore came up, I nearly did not take it as fourteen attempts had failed, but I did. This approach for the first time, gave a clear display of progress and although it was unsuccessful, it stated why and suggested a re- run, I did this using the same restore point that had been unsuccessful on 9 of my previous attempts and,He Presto, Problem solved. Moral of the story; I wish I knew.
John

Werauhidin

Werauhidin Report 1 Oct 2007 23:44

Oh dear, that sounded as though I were not appreciative of the suggestions by fellow members.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

I have had much help on this site and it is always, greatly appreciated.
Regards
John