Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Findmypast

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Derek

Derek Report 27 Sep 2007 09:48

Having spent the last hour or so downloading a modern Lizard-Vu, I now find myself utterly confused with this used to be an easy site to use.
Can someone tell me honestly if this site, where it says under Miitary Search Records and the results are BMD number of pages(I have 161 pages of results), that every page has a record.
Then which of the choices of subsciption should I use, with all this technology, no wonder the dinosaurs opted out, thanks for your time, Derek in France

Susan

Susan Report 27 Sep 2007 09:59

I don't have any trouble, what or who is it you are looking for?

Derek

Derek Report 27 Sep 2007 10:13

Hello Sue, the site has changed for the better, but like I said more confusing.
When entering a search name under Military BMD, I get 160 pages of results. Now does every page give a result or as before, you search a page, hoping for a result.
If 160 plus results is guaranteed, great, but which payment should I then use. Am I making myself clear. thanks for coming back, Derek

Susan

Susan Report 27 Sep 2007 10:47

You've got me confused. I suppose it would work out cheaper to have a complete sub, rather than just buy credits. With a complete sub you can search page after page to your hearts content.

Can I look for anything for you, or give me an idea which particular record you are seeking and I can try a search and see what info such record would contain.

Derek

Derek Report 27 Sep 2007 12:59

Sue, you are a glutton for punishment, OK here goes, I have found a Walter Harridence getting married in Calcutta in 1890. Next bit of info says Page 137. So where does he come from, who did he marry, the works!!!
I have found a number of children which could be his, six born between 1891 and 1901. again a page number follows each name. An interesting chase, thanks, Derek

Susan

Susan Report 27 Sep 2007 13:13

Derek

I dunno what to say, found the record that you have, but its not very informative is it. I don't know how to find the other half, it doesn't seem to explain it very well.

Try reading through this.

http://www.findmypast.com/resources/index.jsp

Patricia

Patricia Report 27 Sep 2007 16:48

These references are like the regular BMD GRO Vol & page numbers. If you want all the details spouse etc you'll need to request the certificiate.

I did it recent for a death in india in 1867.

Derek

Derek Report 27 Sep 2007 17:10

Thanks Patricia, but from who? I cannot find anything on Findmypast that refers to buying certs. Derek

Patricia

Patricia Report 27 Sep 2007 17:24

Try this link

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Derek

Derek Report 27 Sep 2007 17:36

Thanks again, Patricia, I owe you a bottle, Derek