Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Storing certs. What's best?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Deb needs a change

Deb needs a change Report 27 Sep 2007 13:26

I have quite a collection of certs and at the moment they're stored in the white envelopes they arrived in. Are there any specially designed plastic or other type sleeves/folders that you use?

Deb:)

Julie

Julie Report 27 Sep 2007 13:36

Deb

I have mine in a Flexicover Display Book

Its a plastic folder with clear sleeves in it

Julie

Deb needs a change

Deb needs a change Report 27 Sep 2007 13:45

Thanks Julie and Dee,

I'll take a look in the newsagent's tomorrow. Something like your flexicover sounds ideal for my extracted copies.

I think I'd be best keeping the old originals in packing paper though. I'd hate for them to be effected by plastic chemicals.

Deb:)

Heather

Heather Report 27 Sep 2007 13:52

I keep mine in a posh certificates album - check out the website:

http://www.my-history.co.uk/acatalog/Genealogical_Storage.html

Susan

Susan Report 27 Sep 2007 14:18

hi i keep mine in acid free pockets which you can purchase from wh smiths. then in folders for the relevant surnames they are reasonable priced about £2.99 for a 100.

David

David Report 27 Sep 2007 14:21

I keep mine in a long certificate binder with long card inserts in the sleeves to allow back-to back storage of 2 certificates per sleeve. Both the sleeve and inserts are acid-free to provide archive quality storage with no decay. The binders, sleeves and inserts are available from S&N Genealogy (see http://www.genealogysupplies.com/index.htm?product_filter.php?cat_no=1.ref)

This size allows me to keep the standard A4 certificates (from the GRO and modern birth certificates), long thin original certificates and 2 small birth certifcate per view. The only certificates I've found that I have to fold are big death certificates (but you could avoid this is you went for the A3 size folder and sleeves.

Hope it helps.

Dave